Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking for inexpensive reel
got a new pole to outfit and I am on a very limited budget (my wife cut my fishing budget) and am wondering some opinions on best reels for the least amount of money and best place to pick them up. I usually fish open faced, reels but because I grew up using baitcasting reels that were closed faced I fish them upside down and backwards, which causes some funny catch ups on the bail. any advice?
[signature]
best reel I have used so far, is the Shimano FX 4000RA..

got it for twenty bucks down at the Big 5 Sporting goods on 40th street, and riverdale rd.. but you might be able to find the same thing at any given Big 5 sporting good store..

I would have to see how your fising to help you out if your upside down and twisted.. but if your in a float tube, don't you think you would be under water?

Chris
Jurias
[signature]
Jed,

Since I'm the self proclaimed tech advisor on this board I'll hook you up. The only thing I love to do more than spend my money on fishing gear is to spend someone elses. You want a spinning reel? Is that right? How much you got? What size? In the past year I've become a huge fan of the Quantum Catalyst PTI. They are not cheap, but, not high end either. Your looking at about 80 bucks give or take 20 depending on size, FINN NOR has a new low end reel which I don't have yet, but I've got some of their medium priced stuff and it's better than most low end stuff for about the same price (around 50 bucks). Of course I'm a Penn fanatic, but don't go with the SS series. All my Penn spinners are the Z series, if you've got around a hundred to spend I'd look at these. Mine are for big water (salt) and you don't need these out here. If you are looking for low end stuff at a good price you can't beat Walmart and the Shimano's. Do yourself a favor, before you buy, call James or Cory at Hooked Fishing Tackle (they have an ad at the top of this page), tell em the IFG sent you. They have far better advice than me. In most cases they'll tie or be a couple of bucks more than Walmart and give you some good advice to go along with it. LOOK HARD AT THE QUANTUM, it's an awesome reel at a great price. You can always come over and throw mine if you want to try them out. Plus I have a (few) others too.

IFG
I've got a Daiwa Triforce-Z 153iV that I will give you if you want it. I used it about three times and became too impatient to use it.
[signature]
send it my way!
[signature]
Jed,

If you can find some Daiwa Regals, they are excellent reels for not a ton of money. I have a one Regal-C, one Regal-X, and three Regal-Zs and I haven't had a whit of trouble with them. You can't go wrong with the Shimanos either. The Saharas may be in your price range. I have a couple of Shakespeare Cateras that have also been trouble-free. Most of these reels are under $50, much less if you can find them on sale. If you want to test-drive some of these reels, let me know when you're going out and I can meet you somewhere.

km
[signature]
ProBass Shops extreme metal. I love this reel and got it on sale for $30.00. Looks like they want $50 for it now and it's original price was $79.99

[url "http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44476&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse"]http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44476&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse[/url]

[Image: 74126.jpg]
[signature]
heres something close on ebay right now for $15.50 + $8 shipping

[size 5]Bass Pro Shops® Pro Qualifier® Metal Spinning Reel[/size]

[url "http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3629635596&category=383"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3629635596&category=383[/url]

(you have to copy and paste the url into a browser address box, redirects havent been working right lately)

this ends today 4:30 mtn time...

you can usually find good deals on ebay . . .

sm
[signature]
That's a great deal! By the time the bidding is over who knows what the price will be. Took a look. The reel is the largest size they make. Too big and heavy for me. Thank's for the link, I'm going to have to check E-bay more often.
[signature]
Jed if you are still looking i use the shimano r4000's and i have never had a problem with them i expecially like them because they have the rear drag i picked my last one up at k-mart for $13 but i think that wally's has them for about $10 ish.
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]Jed, there is no such thing as a "good" inexpensive reel. Now that is out of away, wait and save your money. Look at Bass Pro Shops/Cabelas clearlance and online deals. Check ebay, post here, and let people know excatly what you are looking for.[/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2] IFG said the Quantum Catalyst[/size][/#000080] [#000080][size 2]is a good for the price(about $80.00). I have a Catalyst plus a Kinetic. The Kinetic is about $20.00 less than the Catalyst. I step on my Catalyst and broke it. I see very little difference from the Catalyst and Kinetic(8 ball bearings to 6). I personally have switched to Shimano Stradics. Less ball bearings(5), yet they are smoother and better made. I have been a Quantum user for 20 years until I saw the light.[/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2] Baitcasters, rule of thumb is that there aren't any good baitcasters under a $100.00. Ive had 6 Shimano Curado's at one time(I gave my neighbor kid my right handed retrieve). They run about $120.00 to $150.00(superfree). My favorite is the Curado Superfree, when the fishing sucks I usually practice my casting with baitcasters. [/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2] Ok, make a decision on size, style(spin v bait), and how much time you can wait(christmas is coming). In Jan the warehouse outfitts start discounting last years stock(they want full price during the holidays).[/size][/#000080] [#000080][size 2]Do some research and pick what is the best situation for you.[/size][/#000080]
[signature]
hey just wanted to let you know i picked up that reel for 18.00+8.00 I figured that was a good buy
[signature]
well good job, hope it works well for you . . . any of the reels that the guys mention on the boards are usually on ebay . . . . i like vintage garcia mitchell model 408 high-speed ultralights - they go from $30-$200 depending . . .

sm
[signature]
May as well stir up the dirt a little. Reels ain't worth diddlee dee without good line with a good knot on it. Maybe we should use those as topics, too![Wink]
[signature]