Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addind Spikes or Studs to Felt
Going on my 3rd year wading with Simm Freestone Boots I have the older style were the felt isn't sewn into the sole. Now the Felt Soles are starting come off I going to shoe goo them back together since the uppers still look pretty new.

Wondered if anyone has screwed studs through the felt and glued the soles back together ?

I know Simms sales spikes but 30 bucks for some screws ??? Seems abit pricey since you can buy a 100 hex screws for like 5 bucks I know I know the simms ones have carbite pellets weled into them but for 30 bucks that carbite better turn into gold [crazy][crazy]

Was thinking 1/4 inch x 1/2 inch Hex washer head screws with the screw only through the felt and pointy part facing down that way if they ever breach the rubber I don't have the pointy part shredding my waders. The washer heads has a flatter surface then a regular hex screw and if needed dremmel the head down so it doesn't feel like I have rocks in my shoes. ... Hmmm what do you guys think ?
[signature]
Al's Sporting Goods in Logan shows them on sale for $10 on their website right now. I bought some this past fall, and all I can say is that I wish I would have done it sooner. I never slip anymore. The only time I stumble at all is when I step on a loose rock. They're definitely worth the money to me.
[signature]
Stainless Steel sheet metal screws. I have been using them for about 30 years. Buy them at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Lowes. Box full. They last a while. Not like the Carbide the Simms offers, but the grip is the same. So you have to replace them every three months, they are inexpensive.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/HL2-0806...ill-Screws
[signature]
Cool thx for the info guys going to give this a try

By chance do you guys remember the exact size of screws you used ?
[signature]