Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need float tube advice/direction
Hello,
I have been lurking around here for quite a while, mostly on the Idaho fishing forum and this is a really neat site. I used to fish alot when I was younger, especially the lakes, rivers and streams in South East Idaho with Henry's Lake being my water of choice.

When I started building a family I kind of got out of it due to time constraints and the overall safety issue of most of the fishing I had grown accustomed to. Not having access to a boat for the last decade I hadn't been to Henry's in that amount of time, but I made the mistake of going up there last fall[Wink]. Now three of my kids are to the point where I want them to have a taste of what I had as a kid. I have a daughter that is 16, and two sons that are 12 and 10. I really want to get into float tubing as it is probably the most economical way for me to get them up there and off the bank.

I had a float tube at one time, but sold it years ago and haven't been in one for about 15 years. What I would like to know is what I should be looking at in a float tube. I want to have safety first and foremost as I will have most of my "eggs in one basket" so to speak. With that in mind, I need to be as economical as possible with that in mind.

Would the members of the forum be willing to educate me on the pros and cons of what is available out there, and what I should be looking at for me (43 years old, 6'2", 225lbs) and my children. Treat me like a complete newby, because that is basically what I am at this point.

Thanks,

300winnie
[signature]
whats your budget? if you have a few extra bucks to kcik around i always have and always will link this place:

[url "http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/"]http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/[/url]

hands down the best craft built (in the USA also) and the customer service is tops!!! did you accidently have a fight with your wife and she stabbed your toon with a hunting knife? yep they will replace it!!

not that has happened
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Hope we can help you get properly floated...along with the younguns. More and more families are setting up their individual members with float tubes rather than getting a family boat. Less expensive, easier to transport and everybody likes their own "space"...and being able to fish how they want and where they want.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course you need to address all the safety issues...with PFDs, etc. Each of the tubers should also be competent swimmers and not afraid of the water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you put out the word amongst your fellow fishermen...and watch for online sales...you can get some good deals on tubes that are more than suitable for getting everybody started. Then, as your skills improve and as you gain an appreciation for the different options you can upgrade as the budget allows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are not too many good round tubes on the market these days. And most tubers prefer the open end...U boat or V boat...craft for launching and beaching. And some of them have higher seating too. Spend some time looking at the specs on manufacturers web sites and learn of the options and terminologies. We will be happy to help you understand which things are necessary and which are non-essential.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sending you some information on the Private Message system. Hope it helps.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Before you buy 3 or 4 of them, I'd find a place to rent some, and try two or three different designs. That way, you could see what's most comfortable for everybody as a starting point. I'd definitely pick something with a "second" means of propulsion besides fins. (oars!) Having the option to row, kick, or both makes for less-strenuous movements from point A to point B.
[signature]
Jim has some good advise and TD knows his tubes.
You say you grew up fishing Henry's, then you know how that lake can get real ugly real quick. More so than any other lake I fish, probably because it is so shallow.

If it were me, I would look for a nice boat in the 12' to 14' range. Then buy a few donuts or whatever. Put an electric motor on the boat. Let the kids fish off the side of the boat in the tubes, that way is the weather changes, you can get them all together quick. I bet one will want to hang out in the boat with dad.

I just say this because I have got blown way out on several occasions, and as Jim mentioned I had oars AND a motor. It was hard getting back, and you will have three out there floating around.

Just my thoughts.
[signature]
flygoddess,
You are spot on about that lake. I have been out there in my share of storms...some intentionally and some not so much...

That is one of my major concerns, and has been with taking the littles out on that lake. When I had my float tube back in the 90's I got blown clear across the lake...well almost. My parents dropped me off the boat just out from the A-Frame and the wind came up out Red Rock pass and I rode the white caps out until I could get out in the north east corner...luckily our cabin was located there. That was a very scary ride until I realized my center of gravity was keeping right side up.

Looking extremely forward to watching them hook into some of those fish, but fighting the anxiety of how to get them into the action, while still minimizing the risk.

Thanks,

300winnie
[signature]
Winnie:

Float tubes are generally quite safe by design as you discovered when being blown about on the lake. Almost like having a large PFD that you ride in a stormy lake, scary but safe. Thats assuming one is a swimmer, knows about the quirks of inflatable craft, and hypothermia/health issues are NOT a factor. Eventually you will be blown to safety, even if you have to get out and ride on one chamber or your PFD that remains, assuming the shoreline is not unusually hazardous. This will not mean it will be a comfortable or pleasant experience or that you won't lose equipment.

If there is a protected cove to use, most of above possibility can be avoided.

Good luck, have fun as I have had with my family.

Pon

[quote 300winnie]flygoddess,
You are spot on about that lake. I have been out there in my share of storms...some intentionally and some not so much...

That is one of my major concerns, and has been with taking the littles out on that lake. When I had my float tube back in the 90's I got blown clear across the lake...well almost. My parents dropped me off the boat just out from the A-Frame and the wind came up out Red Rock pass and I rode the white caps out until I could get out in the north east corner...luckily our cabin was located there. That was a very scary ride until I realized my center of gravity was keeping right side up.

Looking extremely forward to watching them hook into some of those fish, but fighting the anxiety of how to get them into the action, while still minimizing the risk.

Thanks,

300winnie[/quote]
[signature]
I would go to youtube and see a ton of videos on every style of boats/tubes there is.

Personally I think you're insane to try and fish with three kids all from their own tubes. Unless your kids are quite gifted in both fishing and coordination. You will find yourself going from kid to kid untangling lines and godforbid the wind does come up without warning and they are too far apart or too far from shore.

Get a cheap 14 foot craft that you can all be in for the first year or so. And a couple of tubes or toons you can get on the water with them one at a time. The next year or two you'll know which ones can do it or even like it and then you can sell the 14 footer and buy the ones that want to go a tube.
[signature]
I agree with the ones that have mentioned a small boat for your first ventures with your kids. It is lots easier to teach them the basics of fishing and to help them with them all there with you. Even if you first go to a creek or bank fish from a lake. Get everyone comfortable with their own equipment first, before you even think about tubes for each.

Focus on the kids catching fish, having fun, and everyone being warm, safe, and comfortable.

Henry's is a hard lake and I don't think I would make that my first fishing adventures. Look for somewhere close by that everyone can catch lots of fish at. Pan fish or trout whatever just so long as everyone is catching, and you don't have to worry about the lake conditions as much.

Then I would get a tube for you, so you can learn the ins and outs of tubing again. That way you will know first hand what to look for and can introduce you kids to independent angling from a tube.

All of that being said, I have a Fish Cat 4 float tube.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/C...t104335380

I have fished from many styles of float tubes over the years and the "V" shaped tubes are amazingly different from the round tubes. They are much easier to kick and they ride great in the wind.
[signature]