Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo River Delta Proposal - new info
[cool][#0000ff]Several of us BFT members receive periodic updates from Chris Crockett...Aquatics Project Leader for DWR. He is a key player in the Utah Lake Commission and is actively involved in all the goings on down there. Here is his email and a PDF file attachment. There is also a link in his email for the website for the Delta Plan.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
Hello all, attached is some information I received at a recent public meeting to discuss the potential uses (concepts) for the lower portion of the Provo River if the restoration of a delta is implemented. The attached document is a scanned low resolution summary of the proposed channel concepts with figures. Higher resolution images and additional background information can be found at the project website [url "wlmailhtml:{61D7A269-CB08-4213-8924-C9BEFF1ADBB3}mid://00000006/!x-usc:http://www.provoriverdelta.us/"]http://www.provoriverdelta.us/[/url], all official project comments can be sent to [url "wlmailhtml:{61D7A269-CB08-4213-8924-C9BEFF1ADBB3}mid://00000006/!x-usc:mailto:info@provoriverdelta.us"]info@provoriverdelta.us[/url] or call 801 524-3146. If you have difficulty finding the information you're searching for or have questions I can help with please don't hesitate to contact me. My apologies for not sending this information out sooner.

There has been a lot of media coverage regarding this project, I can't speak to the other conflicts, but I do feel that some of the coverage has contained misinformation regarding the projects cumulative impact to fish communities and fishing opportunities. Historically river deltas have supported extremely high densities of fisheries biomass and have been heavily targeted areas of both recreational and commercial fisheries. You need not take my word for it, but I encourage you to talk with to other reputable individuals and/or spend some time on the web researching the value of delta ecosystems.

Several people at the meeting were concerned about impacts to the trail system along the lower river. If this is a concern I would encourage you to submit comments suggesting that all plans include trails and angler access points. I believe the project proponents are very receptive to suggestions to enhance fishing and recreational opportunities within the delta.

Take Care

Chris Crockett
Native Aquatics Project Leader
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
(801) 491-5655
chriscrockett@utah.gov
[signature]