Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers boiling at Willard (Report)
Just got back from Willard and it's "Wiper Time" finally. Launched the big boat at the North Marina with no problem and went about half way to the light pole before we started trolling, water temp was 70 degrees. Wiperslayer and I trolled to the light pole, then southeast toward the island without a bite. We headed toward the the S/W corner and the Slayer caught the first wiper about two hundred yard before we got to the corner, a nice fat 15 incher. As we trolled north along the west dike we noticed a couple of guys fishing in toons and thinking they might be someone from the site, we waved but they were to busy fly fishing to notice us, so we trolled on. About half way up the dike we started catching the wipers and it was the best wiper catching I've seen in months, before we made a turn to go back we saw Muskyhunter and his family coming our way (he even brought the dog along). At that point we had caught and released 3 with the biggest being 17 inches, we went back and forth, catching fish on every pass until we had 8 wipers. Just when I was thinking about heading back to the launching area, the boils started. Those wipers were smacking the water hard and the water was flying every where. We got as close as we dared and put down the electric motor. We were casting for all we were worth but they just did not like what we were offering. The Slayer was doing some great, Walk the Dog action, with a topwater lure and I was casting a Producer, finally the Slayer got one on and a second later I got one too, a double. Great way to end the day, the boil only lated 20 minutes but it was the first real boil I've seen this year. WH2

Screaming drag, wiper on.

52 outings so far this year
[signature]
WH2-great report,but you mean there is water at the launch?
I'm going to Pineview tommorow,but if they are boiling at Willard,thats my speciality,love it!!
[signature]
No such luck Mike but people have been driving down the channel and launching at the mouth of the marina, that's what we did today. I think you could launch your boat with out any trouble but you would need to put it in 4x4 and be careful. There is one deep hole if you can find it and a good rocky base. I did not even get the rear wheels of my truck in the water. WH2
[signature]
sounds exciting I'll have to get back up there now. and get in on some of that action.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Great, Great, GREAT news WH2,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks for 1. braving the conditions, and 2. posting your report.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks for the info ... I've got to give it a try now.[/size][/font]
[signature]
How big is your boat? I am wondering of my 16 foot boat couls be launched there. Is there some directions you can give us to where this deep hole is?
[signature]
I seen the wiper boils. I was fishing about half way up the west dike. Seen you go by a few times. Caught one cat about 12 inches and alot of little wipers but did get one that was 12 inches.Was fishing for cats but the wipers had other ideas about that worm floating on the bottom.
[signature]
Mine is a 16.5 foot and the deep hole isn't hard to find. The road that's been made by so many people driving down the channel isn't hard to follow, once you get to the end of this road you will see a little mud bank that rises one to two feet above the water. Right beside it is a good rock surface that is flat, if you angle your boat so the trailer goes into the area where the mud bank comes up you will have no problem getting your boat off your trailer. Wiperslayer used hip boots to check out the water to find the deep spot and we did not even get the rear wheels wet on the truck. The road is a little rough in the area you will be able to launch but that will give you good traction if you have a 4x4. WH2
[signature]
Finally they start boiling!!! Unfortunately I have turned my attention to hunting, so the wipers will have to wait till next year. Luckily last week I finally got my boat working, (after 2 years) so I have no excuse next year. Oh wait except for water. I am really not a big fan of this, but Bring on mad amounts of snow!!!!
[signature]
Wow!!! Were to wipers close to shore and kind of near the south dike? If I go up there again I'm leaving my tube home and fishing from shore, just want to know if it's a good idea.

Thanks,

Al
[signature]
The boil we were into was half way between the S/W corner and the Light pole and at least 100 yards from shore. If you read HFT's post from the same day, he did good from shore but only got one in. That one fish was 6 pounds though, and he was wearing chest waders. It sounds like the catching is getting better though because Muskyhunter did good close to shore monday night, give it a try in the evening and see what you think. WH2
[signature]
The wipers I got from shore were pretty small. But if you wade out you might get bigger ones. The 12 incher I got was out aways and I was fishing with a worm for cats.I had one on for a second that really made my drag scream and then my gear and the fish was gone.
[signature]
[url "mailto:WH@,can"]WH2,can[/url] I launch my boat,you seen it last year,17' glass boat.thanks for any info.

You guys are getting me excited,WOOHOOOOOOOOOO.I need a wiper fix big time.

Tony[cool]
[signature]
you and me both Tony, Dont we have a date for Willard from last summer LOL
[signature]
come'on,WH2.

need some good news PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Later,Tony

OH,and Teroy yes I owe you man,I would have antied up on my invite if ther was some water in the pond,LOL.will get out there soon I hope.

Tight Lines
[signature]
Hey Tony I would say no problem as long as you stay to the north where it drops off fast and the ground is more solid. I was there when WH2 pulled his out and he had no problems. I have been launching my 14'alum. with my 2wd!!M.H.
[signature]
RIGHT ON,Thanks.

Teroy,get your gear ready,I gotta catch a wiper real soon,let ya know in a few days when,later.

Tony[cool]
[signature]
Muskyhunter is right, you should have no problem, just follow the directions I posted above for Creastliner. It would be better if you were using a 4x4 but if you are careful you should be Ok. If you are not sure where the deep area is just do some wading but it is right in front of the mud bank. Good luck. WH2
[signature]
WH2,I am in a 4x4,LOL.I wouldn't even think about driving out there with out one,but it sounds like its pretty solid,thanks for the info,see ya on the water.

Tony[cool]
[signature]
When are all you guys headed out there next?? Hope to see you out there!!M.H.
[signature]