Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Ice Party fun
Well the catching wasn't too good but the day was great. CoyoteSpinner and Fishing4thehog helped me with the Fish finder demo and Reelfast got me to the ice, thanks guys. We had a give-away for those BFT members that stopped by the BFT table. It was good to see many of you members for the first time and put a face to the name. It was a great turn out with several hundred people there to enjoy the event.
I think more BFT members were there but some how missed the BFT Banner.[Wink]
WH2
[signature]
What a great turnout! Thanks to everybody who coordinated this event and those who contributed their time and efforts to take the kids out. It's too bad that the fishing was so slow, but I suppose that can be expected with a crowd that size.

What a treat to get to meet so many of you. I wish I could have met you all.

Here are some photos from my end:

[Image: DSCN0043.jpg]

It was pretty busy out there today!

[Image: DSCN0050.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0056.jpg]

Thanks to Adam Eakle and his cameraman for their involvement in this as well. Many of us were interviewed briefly and, what I heard from the cameraman, a small amount of footage will be on tonight's show, so make sure to watch.

[Image: DSCN0058.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0059.jpg]

Here's my group of kids:

[Image: DSCN0063.jpg]

It was dreadfully slow though. No bites for us.

[Image: DSCN0067.jpg]

Tim Gorman was kind enough to bring a fishing pole to send home with each of the kids. They were all very excited for those.

[Image: DSCN0077.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0088.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0090.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0091.jpg]

Great fun. Thanks everybody.

BTW, Deer Creek is finally frozen. 4 inches! I just had to stop and try for a little while. 1 bite, no hookup. Ah well.

[Image: DSCN0095.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0097.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0098.jpg]

What a day! Thanks again.

[Image: DSCN0108.jpg]
[signature]
I was one of those that seemed to somehow miss the banner. When we finally spotted it we were with some of the kids at the raffle and by the time we made it back to that area it was gone... Our bad. It would have been nice to meet some more BFT folks.
[signature]
Looks like a totally awesome time. I'm sure the 40 Big Brothers and Big Sisters Kids had BIG Smiles on their faces. Hats off to all of you fine folks for making memories for these kids thats what its all about. [Smile][Smile]
[signature]
Well you maam got an honorable mention during the raffle. Said you're one of the finest "pike" anglers around. Didn't bother to correct him that they're TigerMusky that you master!

Thanks for your donations. I'm not sure how you're linked with Action Tackle Products, but they had some nice spinners there. Shoulda had some of those wicked Spring Bobbers! You'd need a sensitive bobber to detect those light light bites. It was almost as if they weren't biting at all!!! [:/]

It was funny as we parked I looked at the car that'd just pulled up next to us, and said to Jdawg - I think that's Loah! And it was! Nice to make your personable aquaintance. But I told you those long rods weren't gonna catch you any fish! Ok, so the small rods didn't do any better, but . . . [blush]

I can just see all those kids rods turning to swords!
Now that I've been there, I think that's a lake I'm gonna have to visit again - maybe when wet water returns.

I posted my pix over on the picture page Wiperhunter put up. But here's my favorite!

[inline "Excited Angler.jpg"]
Where to begin? Sorry for the late post, I had a head cold yesterday and had no business being on the ice. Moved to my chest during the night. Having said that, I wouldn't have missed this event for the world.

Kids had a great time, got to spend some time with my brother, Pikeman and his son, meet some fellow BFTr's and put face to the handle, and had a blast.

Thanks again Pikeman for hauling us around and having the Jawjackers set-up for some success for the kids. They had a blast and didn't want to leave. They repeatedly asked to go back out on the lake after lunch but their bus was heading out. Awesome to get some kids interested in getting outside.

The weather was beautiful and the ice was thick (thank goodness as so was the group). Attached are some pics of the day.
[signature]
Glad you guys had a great day. Too bad the fish weren't too cooperative. Good work to all putting everything together. Sounds like the 4th was a great day all around[Wink]
I would like to take credit for this big event but Adam Eakle, Doggonefishin and many more were the ones that made this event happen. I helped out as did others on BFT and UWN. It was one of those rare days a Rockport with little to no wind and beautiful conditions. Good ice and no melting that I saw. With all the people I saw there, I wasn't expecting the catching to be good but folks that got away from the crowds did better than us near the big group. I set up about 75 yds or so from the big group hoping that wasn't too close but it was, I guess I should have joined the big group so more members could have found us but maybe next time. I'm glad to hear your derby turned out good, hopefully next year there will not be a conflict and a few more will come your way.
[signature]
Dang, I didn't even know BFT had a table. I would have stopped by and said hi.

RE" I would like to take credit for this big event but Adam Eakle, Doggonefishin and many more were the ones that made this event happen."

To be fair, my role in helping with the kids program was minimal compared to what the leaders of the UWC did. They did all the tough work and really made it happen. They deserve all the credit.

(As an informational note, The UWC is not a competing outdoors website, but is an organization of sportsmen with a goal of helping our wildlife resources, political/regulatory action and representation, and service projects.)
[signature]
When you first put up a link to their web site we checked it out and agreed with you. Almost all .org web sites are fine to post links to as long as they don't have a forum. I felt that you were the one that helped organize the kids part of the event and got BFT members involved, even if the UWC was the driving force behind the kids being there. Without volunteers these type of events would not happen, so you did your part and made a lot of kids happy. Besides, I don't know the guys from the UWC[Wink].
[signature]
Thank you for the kind words. I figured you knew what the UWC was but the previous blurb was a shout out for the organization that some BFTers may not have heard of and may be interested in hearing more about what we do.

(There also is the website with a similar name that some may confuse us with too.)
[signature]
Hey LOAH, would you mind posting your pics of the Ice Party in our Photo Gallery, we have a spot set up for everyones pic that they took at the Ice Party. Here is a link to that location: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/799"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/799[/url]
Thanks and it was good to meet you on Sat.
[signature]
Wiper we were setup pretty close to you and didn't realize that banner was BFT.(i'm a new member). Glad some people pointed me to this site otherwise I would have missed all the fun we had Sat. Met with some of the people from UWC and they all seem like GREAT people. Nice pic coyotespinner!
[signature]
Your group was the only one close to us that even caught a fish, so everyone rushed over when hooting began. You can see us standing in the back ground of a couple of your pics. Thanks for posting pics in the Photo Gallery.
[signature]
lol. Me and my broter were trying to get the kids excited about catching a fish and told them to yell FISH ON!!! if the had one. 6 kids for 2 guys is tough to try to keep tabs on, but that girl that caught that fish was a natural. listened to everything we told her. the fish hit once told her to drop it back down and jig twice. that fish came back and she set the hook kept the line tight and success. we were not expecting to land a fish, if anything one or two to get off. Great day.
[signature]
Good for you, it is always fun to watch a kid catch their first fish. Here is another pic of that fish, is that you in the pic?
[signature]
That is my little brother
[signature]
Wiperhunter2, sorry I didn't make it over to your table and demo. I was rather tied up with my son. I had a great time and the kids were great. The turn out was amazing. I can't wait till next year. I think I am done with the ice fishing for the year. I am so ready for warm water fishing.
[signature]
[quote The_Red_Leaker]Where to begin? Sorry for the late post, I had a head cold yesterday and had no business being on the ice. Moved to my chest during the night. Having said that, I wouldn't have missed this event for the world.

Kids had a great time, got to spend some time with my brother, Pikeman and his son, meet some fellow BFTr's and put face to the handle, and had a blast.

Thanks again Pikeman for hauling us around and having the Jawjackers set-up for some success for the kids. They had a blast and didn't want to leave. They repeatedly asked to go back out on the lake after lunch but their bus was heading out. Awesome to get some kids interested in getting outside.

The weather was beautiful and the ice was thick (thank goodness as so was the group). Attached are some pics of the day.[/quote]
I wish I had come over and meet you, sorry to hear you had a cold but way to tough it out. Hope your feeling better. Would you mind putting your pictures in the photo gallery? We are having a contest with the pics everyone add and so far there haven't been but a few members post their pics.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/799"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/799[/url]
[signature]
Gottem up there. Somehow it grabbed and uploaded a couple that shouldn't be there though. I didn't see how I could remove them. There are perch from the hard-deck at Willard last year and a Smallie also from Willard this summer. If you think they will help me win you can leave them up[Smile].
[signature]