Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Can Get On the Ice at NEWTON
[Wink] Newtons ice is accessable now after all that rain a few weeks back, but a plack is recomended. Like a dummy I forgot mine when I left the house, but did find a walk on spot. I met up with a couple of other BFTers at the dam and we gave it a try. The water however is extremely murky. Lots of fish on the screen, but getting a bite was hard. Since Newton is so close to my home, I bailed early and opted for a lazy Saturday. My only Skunk this year !!!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. If it hadn't been for Rockport - I think I woulda been there! I guess with all the inflow - makes sense that lake woulda murked up too.

So is there snow on the ice? It was patches last I went, and inbetween was pretty slickery!

Ever night fish up there? Been thinking to try a late-night slab run (about the only hope of getting out during the week!)
Ice is not as SLICK as it was in the past. A little roughed up from the rain and snow that was on it from the storms. Plenty thick once your on, but extremely murky water though. Last time I was there you could see your jigs 10-15 feet down looking through the hole. Yesterdays water was like chocolate milk.
[signature]
No snow on the ice. It sure was talking all day, though. Lavaman and myself probably caught a dozen crappie and 3 perch. No real size to the crappie. The three perch were all about 8-9 inches. Also met catmaster23 and ninjasetriggs as we came off the ice. Good to finally meet them. They said they managed a few fish as well.
[signature]
First ever Crappies, even though they were small. But I can mark that species off my list. That ice was sure popping pretty good and those edges were a little nerve racking.

Ben, that's a sweet new sonar you've got.

Wish I would've known that was Catmaster!
[signature]
[quote lavaman]Wish I would've known that was Catmaster![/quote]

and then what? (kidding)
If he only have a BFT flag - THEN you woulda known!

I'll bet they hooked some monster huge-ass Musky and just aren't telling ya! teeehee. [pirate]

Glad you got a Crappy. I sure think those are some pretty fish. And they tug a bit different from a perch, no?
Were you fishing shallower for them? Curious what depth - and did you have to actively jig for them? I gather they like hot action over dead sticks.

Even though I have yet to really FIND fish with it. I'm loving that Lowrance! Were you using graph or flasher mode? I'm starting to believe in the VEX. But watching that graph get fat, and go thick and red - rising up, or dropping down - it beats the camera for knowing what all is down there!
I'm sure Ben will answer all those fish finder questions for ya. But ya you can tell a difference between the crappies and perchies for sure. Too bad neither had any size to 'em.

We got 'em all in the deeper water. But as mentioned, that water was dang murky, otherwise I bet we would've nailed 'em pretty good.
[signature]
I have never been on the ice at newton will try in the morning as for night fishing i am down to give it a try if you want?
[signature]