Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monpelier Reservoir and Pond
Wow! Another beautiful day to be out. I headed out to Montpelier today to check out the reservoir there. The drive started great with a nice view of two of the local moose types. I also passed a golden eagle and three deer. Everyone was out!

[Image: Mont1.JPG]

Montpelier has more snow than we do and it was also colder there, but still nice. There was only one other ice fisher on the lake.. a nice and helpful guy from Star Valley.

It started off slow as I got there just before noon. I didn't catch much of anything for the first hour or so. It picked up in the afternoon though. I caught a bunch of small perch 6-7 inches and some planter sized trout. I didn't get any pictures of the fish. They weren't really picture worthy anyway.

There was about 10 to 12 inches of snow on top of the ice, and the ice was about 24 inches thick. It was some serious stuff to drill through. The augering didn't get too difficult until it got down well below my waist which made it hard for me to turn it at that low of an angle. The last 6 inches on each hole was a bugger to turn.

[Image: Mont2.JPG]

After I played on the ice for awhile, I stopped out at the Montpelier pond. It is spring fed and was mostly ice free in the afternoon. The fish and I had fun with some little dry midges. Pretty as it was, my guides were still icing up which made it hard to cast until I I would stop and cleared the ice off for the thousandth time.

Anyway a fun little pond.

[Image: Mont3.JPG]
[signature]
Great pictures. Everyyear I swear off Montpelier because of the small fish, but then I end up going back because it is a pretty place and fun for everyone.

Windriver
[signature]
Great pics and report thanks for sharing [cool]
[signature]
I like the picture of the moose. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
The size of the perch was a bit of a downer. I was hoping that I would run into a school of some a little larger, or at least catch a kokanee there some where. Montpelier and Roberts Pond have a lot in common.......They both need a good predator base to size the perch up a bit.

It was fun to try someplace new anyway.
[signature]