Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon resources?
So I'm considering getting a 1-man toon for fishing this year and I was looking around on KSL for used ones and I don't know if it's the wrong time of year or I'm getting on the bandwagon late but there isn't much! I don't know jack about fishing 'toons other than using a friends once this past summer. Any help and/or advice about what I should be looking to purchase would be much appreciated. I want to use it for all-purpose lake fishing (reel and fly), want to put a trolling motor and fish finder on it. I don't know if this is something I would need a trailer for or if it would fit in the back of my truck. Thanks in advance!
[signature]
Just send TubeDude a PM, he have been decking out his tubes for years. I don't think he uses a trailer. Have you checked out the float tube board?
[signature]
I do have to admit I look at his Startube Enterprise with great envy. I didn't even realize there was a Pontoon board, guess I should use the 'search' function [blush]
[signature]
Depending on how much you want to spend, the Scadden's are top notch awesome. Also the most expensive. Imagine that! You can get into a decent "starter" pontoon for a few hundred bucks though, and it should last a few seasons. Float tube board is definitely the place to research and ask questions.
[signature]
Curt, could you please move my post over to the appropriate forum. Thanks!
[signature]
dude if your on hill send me a PM, ill give ya my name and we can chat over the messanger....... ill have you come down to the house in Roy and show you a few different Scadden models. yes they are pricey however, you get what you pay for and you can not beat these things with an ugly stick.. they also have amazing customer service
[signature]
Ok, you are on the right board now. FYI here is a link to all the BFT boards, it is a lot to take in but I'm sure it will keep you busy for a while[Wink]:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/[/url]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am in the process of putting together a 2012 buying guide for tubes, toons, waders, fins, sonar, etc. It will be posted at the top of the main Float Tubing board with a sticky...soon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do have the toon section pretty well completed. Here are guide sheets from most of the major manufacturers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope this helps.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote kochanut]dude if your on hill send me a PM, ill give ya my name and we can chat over the messanger....... ill have you come down to the house in Roy and show you a few different Scadden models. yes they are pricey however, you get what you pay for and you can not beat these things with an ugly stick.. they also have amazing customer service[/quote]

Did you add to your fleet? Alan is thinking of selling his X5.
[signature]
I have a fishcat toon for 4 years now. Motor and tricked out by Tubedude. Very stable
platform. Fits easily in my GMC pick up. Little difficult to get[Smile] to some waters if you can't park close. Switched to a fishcat4 float tube with motor and all the bells and whistles . Much easier all around. Can do the same things a pontoon can almost. Just purchased a SuperFatCat float tube. Bigger and more comfy than fishcat. Be going over to Tubedudes Sunday to get it tricked out. Will post pictures then. Check out the beter float tubes. You might be surprised, and maybe spend less to do the same as a toon.
[signature]
Main question, you wanna sit IN the water or On the water, or no where near the water[Wink] Do you want to have to wear Chest waders, or Waist highs or Hippers?

Do you want just fin power, do you want fin power plus electric motor, do you want fin power, electric OR gas motor, & oars?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That's a lot of "main question". Makes my head hurt.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But you are right. There is no simple answer. There are quite a few factors to consider before making the initial purchase. And, if you are like most of us you start planning to buy something else as soon as you start fishing from the first one.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Plan a trip this spring and I will bring tha Assault, TD Let you try it out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Okay folks. You read it here. You are all witnesses. The goddess lady is planning to Assault me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Definitely interested in taking it for a spin...errr a float.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still wish Dave would come up with an Escape with a bigger back compartment...for a motor battery.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
e-mails can help on that.
[signature]
Wow, thanks for all the information and advice. I have a lot of researching to do and to figure out what the right fit for me will be. I do know I'm buying a pontoon/float tube because my Wife won't let me buy a boat lol.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thinking about a face-to-face at the next Sportsmans show. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
That would do it!!!!
[signature]
There are a lot of choices out there. The Sea Eagle are probably the bst as far a durable, but they are also more money. They have a really neat one man with a nice seat and hard floor. Check out this one and others at great prices at this link.

Sorry, not on a first post and debatable on durable[Wink]
[signature]