Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
giant muskie
Seen a Guy get. This big healthy sucker in yesterday
[signature]
nice one!!!!!!! wish i could get one like that at the view
[signature]
what did he catch it on. if it was a panfish rig. wow!!!
[signature]
wow!!! Now that would be a surprise on my perch or crappie rig. Was he targeting muskies or was it an incidental catch. I would think targeting them through the ice would make for a long usually unproductive day. I have seen several smaller one caught by accident while fishing for crappie. Nothing that size though. Thanks for sharing the pic.
[signature]
Was there a lot of water on the ice? May take the girlfriend Saturday and that don't make for a good combination.
[signature]
That is 1 fat ass muskie. That guy has porked himself on perch and crappie. By the way...I have never heard of an accidental catch before. Either they bite the bait or they dont.
[signature]
Fair enough. I guess my question was he using gear and techniques trying to catch muskie or was he using a pan fish rig trying for perch or crappie when the muskie took his bait. It would take a bit of finess to bring that brute to the hole using a rat finkie on 4 lb line.
[signature]
With ice fishing there can and are accidental bites/hookups. As I see it. For example, the beast is going in for the dinner with mouth open and after other fish...ice fly is there and in the process they hit the fly while after the fish. We've also had Tigers on through the ice that Perch or Crappie as we we're pulling them up. Had that happen last year pulled up the Crappie with a nice gash on its side. So through the ice yes there can be accidental hookups.

Now soft water fishing potentially the same scenario but not as likely. Look at Tigers that have hit stringers with Bass, crappie and perch on them.

Finally, thanks for sharing the picture and sincere Congrats to the Angler on the Beautiful Tiger...awesome catch and for sure that one has been eat'n good in the neighborhood.
[signature]
sweet fish! The guy who caught the fish is Joe, not sure his last name but he is one hellova (hell of an) angler!

Thanks for sharing 801
[signature]
that was a nice fish i fish with these guys all the time or when i can my dad was with them hahah try fitting that sucker through a 6" hole
[signature]
Not sure what he caught it on but yea I do believe his name is Joe he also locked his keys in his truck while it was running so I hope he got that figured out last night he caught it within ten minutes of being their and it took him about thirty minutes to get it in.
[signature]
Looks like a fat-belly if you ask me! Must have a big auger/hole.

Don't know that I'd agree though - I've caught fish by accident, or had a caught perch gain a WHOLE lot of weight! Finally started catching some musky on the INTENDED rod/setup last fall. That was better!!!

Nice fish - thanks for posting. What a drag! (-ster)
That thing is an absolute TOAD. The guy doesn't look near as excited as I would be to have it on the line. Either that or he has the look of serving notice to the rest of the muskie in the lake. Well done!
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]Looks like a fat-belly if you ask me! Must have a big auger/hole.

Don't know that I'd agree though - I've caught fish by accident, or had a caught perch gain a WHOLE lot of weight! Finally started catching some musky on the INTENDED rod/setup last fall. That was better!!!

Nice fish - thanks for posting. What a drag! (-ster)[/quote]

I guess the debate will always remain a debate. IMHO if you put the line and hook down there....well you caught whatever took it. You were the primary influence ie...fisherman. If you reel up a perch slowly and a TM takes it....you got it in IMHO. You were the influence of where the line and hook went. Guess next time I will have to personally ask my fish if they opened their mouth by accident[Wink]. Curious what the answer will be...maybe I am a accidental catcherman afterall[Wink][Wink].
[signature]
That is one beautiful TM. Thanks for sharing the pic. Love pics like this because after all, this site is BIGfishtackle, not the opposite. Smile

And yes, you can accidentally catch a species you aren't 'targeting'. Happens all the time.
[signature]
[quote lavaman]. . . because after all, this site is BIGfishtackle, not the opposite. Smile

And yes, you can accidentally catch a species you aren't 'targeting'. Happens all the time.[/quote]

Om er - you mean like THIS accidental catch? Didn't mind catching a bass(ling) but I was going for perch.

[inline BassAss.jpg]

Or when I was targetting Crappie and Bluegill, and find myself snagged on a log on the bottom, until the log moves! 20lb carp on 6lb test and light tackle. THAT's entertainment!
Way to intentionally catch that minnow, Coyote!
[signature]
where?
[signature]
I have also caught a carp while trolling for wipers accidentily it was a huge carp and we thought we had a record wiper on so I can see it happening all the time also a white fish on the Weber taking a rapala never thought I would catch on on that so it happens quite a bit
[signature]
Yep you are right it was accidental, I was fishing for panfish. My buddy had it at first in a hole about 20 feet from me but it broke his line, then I hooked it. (he was lucky I got his lure back [Wink] ) I was using Ice Blue 30 in rod and 4.5 line and #4 Swedish Pimple.

P.S. It was released without any harm, but made for a nice picture and good fishing.
[signature]