Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake
Thinking about hitting Utah lake Friday morning for some hard deck fishing. Any suggestions on where to go? This would be the first time ice fishing there.
[signature]
american fork boat harbor has treated me well everytime ive been there for all species.
[signature]
Thanks for the info i just might have to try it.
[signature]
i might go saturday if i dont go to deer creek
[signature]
How are the ice conditions holding up in AF harbor and others? I'm thinking of heading that direction this weekend.
[signature]
ive only fished afbh this year so i dont know about other harbors but the ice afbh is a good 8 inches and there was some soft spots near docks that thawed and refroze about a half an ich thick so just dont step there, its easy to see cause its real clear in those spots. the whole lake is open water outside of the harbor and there were waves crahing on top of the ice at the end near the two dikes. but in the harbor ive never had a scare or a 2nd thought on the ice conditions, it is a soft milky color so its thick enough and easy to drill through since its soft. ive been fishing on the first dock off the boat ramp and catching everything from wb to crappie, bluegill and perch. even a few mudcats. and the white bass the last 2 weeks have all been over 12 inches and very healthy. they are great fighters which mixes it up when your used to catching perch and crappie. hope this helps maybe ill see ya there on saturday if deer creek plans fall through.

tightlines
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I drove by Lindon on Tuesday. Spooky. Nobody on the ice and no recent holes. The channel is open water back to the first buoys and totally open water as far as you can see into the open lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I drove by Saratoga at Pelican Bay last week end and ditto on bad ice. There was very little ice left and it didnt look like ice I wanted to walk on. There were fishermen fishing open water out near the end of the dykes on both sides.
[signature]
Why didn't you launch the tube? I am hoping for a report of a walleye catch so I can start my spring walleye fishing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Didn't have the tube on Tuesday. Just coming back from the ice on Starvy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But I just MIGHT have it tomorrow. Found a super new spot to launch.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote Jazzperch1]. . . if deer creek plans fall through.
tightlines[/quote]

Dude! Don't say [#4040ff]"fall through"[/#4040ff] when you're talking about ice fishing! Word! [:p][:p][:p]
That was a nice white bass you posted on the Ice Contest. Which I was closer - sounds like some fun action.

So waddaya'll think - is it going to be an extra early Walleye spawn this SPRING - since it's basically spring already!
[cool][#0000ff]The walleye spawn is predicated upon water temps...not on fisherman enthusiasm and impatience. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In years like this one, when the ice comes off before March, there is a longer period of water temps between 35 and 45 degrees. When the temps crawl to 40 - 42 degrees the wallies usually have a brief prespawn feeding period...and even the fat mamas will smack a lure. But once the temps get to about 45 degrees they forget food and focus on procreation. Time to empty those big fat tummies. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In moderate spring conditions the ideal temps last for several weeks...swinging up and down around that magic 45 degree mark. But if the ice comes off late and a warm spring takes the temps over 50 the walleyes do a hurry up spawn and if you blink you will miss it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of feisty males caught during the actual spawn but I prefer fishing the post spawn feeding binge after all the frivolity. The fish are more active and they hit harder in the warmer waters...especially when they are trying to feed up after a long winter and a hungry spawn period.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I plan to test my theories often...beginning tomorrow at the bubbleup.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
So Dude are you going out tomorow in your tube? I was going to head up tomorow and shore fish but if you are going i might have to meet you with my tube.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not sure where I will end up. Going to check several spots. Not going to tie myself down to a spot and a schedule on this trip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Unless you are really geared up for cold water you will not last long. Water temps are just above freezing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It will probably be somewhere around Lindon. There is good shore fishing access at the mouth of the channel and that is often a good spot for some early white bass.[/#0000ff]
[signature]