Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First 2012 tubing on Utah Lake
[cool][#0000ff]Drove by Lindon last Tuesday and it looked like the ramp might be open by today. 'Twern't. But I went for plan B...launching on the open water side of the south dike.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tropical. Air and water temps both 37 at 8 am launch. Air temp warmed to over 50 by noon. Not sure about the water temp. Pulled the wire out of my battery for my sonar (temp guage) about 10:30. Just say it was cool to the touch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Electric motored my way out to the bubbleup and started sonaring and lining up my triangulation to find the pipeline. No water coming out and no marker buoys in place yet. Had to rely on experience and luck. Got 'er done. Found some fish and tossed out the orange marker buoy. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got a nice whitie right off the bat and then world war III started on the other side of the lake. Artillery practice at Camp Williams. I could feel the concussions in my legs down in the water. The fish could feel them too. They boogied. No more bites for about an hour. Then the boom boom stopped and the fishies came back in. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once the fish settled down I began to score white bass pretty regularly. But it was a finesse bite. Only hit small tube jigs with a piece of worm. No hits on larger (walleye) plastics, spinners or small cranks. Wanted it low and slow. Bites were either just a "rubber band" feel or a light tick. Had to set the hook whenever there was a change in the force.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did best on a tandem tube jig rig...one red/chartreuse plastic and one chartreuse and silver with a hot red head. Also got a few on pink and even a few while vertical jigging with one of my chartreuse "flat rinkee" ice jigs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hooked several carp...a couple in the kisser and a tail-taker. Gave them all the complimentary gillectomy and released them unharmed. Helping the Junies one carp carcass at a time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did well as long as I could keep track of the moving white bass with sonar. But about 10 am I was taking something out of a side pocket on my tube and accidentally pulled the wire loose from my sonar battery. Too far behind me to reattach it, so I fished blind for the next hour. Still caught fish by randomly fan casting around the marker buoy. The fish were moving but they mostly stayed in the same general area.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Caught maybe fifty whities and kept maybe 30 for the fillet board. Almost all over 10 inches, with plenty of footlongs and several in the 13 to 14 inch bracket. Much fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Dragged both minnows and whole crawlers several times and in different areas and depths. Nary a tweak. Water needs to cross the 40 degree mark before the walleyes are likely to get active. Ditto for the kitties. But I did well in March last year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Was off the water by about 1. Took some pictures of the last remaining thin ice sheet in the harbor. There were a few dock dunkers trying their luck but I didn't see any of them bring anything in...or even move fast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nice day. Felt good to be back in the tube. No power squadron, no skeeters, etc. Tuber's dream. Woulda been nice to play with a walleye or two. But that will come.[/#0000ff]
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82021"]OPEN WATER LAUNCH.jpg[/url] (244 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82022"]LINDON VESUVIUS.jpg[/url] (218 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82023"]FIRST CUSTOMER.jpg[/url] (163 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82024"]MARKER BUOYS HELP.jpg[/url] (188 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82025"]PINK POWER.jpg[/url] (181 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82026"]DOUBLE.jpg[/url] (169 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82027"]RINKEES ROCK.jpg[/url] (161 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82028"]RESPECTABLE.jpg[/url] (173 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82029"]COMIN THRU.jpg[/url] (112 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82030"]MIDDAY REFLECTIONS.jpg[/url] (165 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82031"]BLOWN ASHORE.jpg[/url] (337 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82032"]BUBBLEUP BASKET.jpg[/url] (348 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=82033"]LINDON'S LAST ICE.jpg[/url] (213 KB)
[signature]
Ah that's a nice to hear things went well. I've just about hit my limit for not having been fishing. Need to start watching for an opportunity to hit utah lake myself. Maybe get both brothers in law out with me. The younger one has a new tube from christmas that still needs it's first trip taken to break it in.
[signature]
Cool, in more ways than one!

Looks like it was a productive and fun day out for you. The white bass seem to be a few inches bigger this year. Another good water year and they will be the local thugs on the block! [shocked]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There is always a good population of white bass in Utah Lake, but the size is in direct proportion to the amount of harvest vs the amount of food available. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We are seeing a lot more people fishing for them these days...and with high water years there is good spawning for all of the prey species. The whities live on the young-of-the year of carp, bluegills, walleyes, crappies, catfish, suckers and especially on their own species. But some...like carp...grow very quickly and do not stay on the menu long.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are some natural forage minnow species in the lake...like fathead minnows...but most small species are unable to maintain large populations so they are only a small part of the overall diet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yes, the white bass this year are some of the largest and healthiest we have seen in some time. It is going to be a gangbusters harvest during the May spawning runs. Last year there were grundles of fish but it was tough getting anything over about 10 inches. This year that will be on the small side.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It sure would be great to see some of them getting to be the size of the white bass back east. 13-16 inchers would be amazing!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]When I first fished Utah Lake, and the lower Provo River...back in the 1960's...there were a lot of white bass that exceeded 2#. Here's an old picture.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff][inline "WHITE BASS - LOWER PROVO.jpg"]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But when I lived in Phoenix a 2# white bass was about average on some trips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "PLEASANT WHITES.JPG"]

[inline "ARIZONA WHITES.JPG"]
[signature]
I still think you are nuts, but it sounds fun too! [laugh]
[signature]
Thanks for the report TD! I have been itching to get out on the tube and your report may have inspired me enough to do so before the month is over. Before I take the plunge, I have to ask....

What is your current "setup" to staying warm when tubing in cold water?

My main issue is keeping my feet warm. I was on the tube around Thanksgiving last year, and the water temp was in the 37-40F range. I didn't last more than 90 minutes. For my legs, I just had on a poly under layer, fleece sweats, and cotton sweats. All underneath my breathable wader. For my feet, I had on two pairs of wool socks.

Searching through BFT, I did find an old post of yours that has links to other posts.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_...ost=393540

Thanks.
[cool][#0000ff]Surviving/enjoying float tube fishing this time of year is a combination of factors. Proper layering of warmth retaining materials is foremost. Avoiding constriction and reduced circulation...especially in the feet...is another. The third is body metabolism. Someone who does not naturally generate much body heat is going to be frozen out before someone who has a hot body.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is a biological fact that larger bodies produce and retain more heat than smaller bodies. As you have observed, I have considerable body mass...and I also put out a lot of heat. My wife is jealous because I can steam dry after being soaked in a rain shower.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My personal layering setup for cold water is:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2 pairs of wool socks[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Cabelas Poly unders...heavyweight[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2 layers of fleece pants[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Top...2 to 3 layers of poly and fleece plus a wind breaker if needed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I wear neoprene divers booties over the stocking foot part of my 3 mm neoprene waders. And the booties are extra large size to avoid constriction. My fins are also extra large to hold all that bulk without cramping my feet. That is the biggie. If your feet get constricted you will be done soon. Also, the extra insulation of the neoprene waders will make a big difference...the equivalent of at least one or two layers underneath.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I usually take two hats...one insulated and one thinner for later in the day. I also take two pair of gloves...one neoprene with fingers...for the coldest condtions...and one fingerless neoprene for calm and cool conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fished both in December and in early January on Deer Creek with water temps not far above freezing. I could feel the chill but I was never so cold that I could not continue to fish comfortably.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bottom line: it is an individual thing. A combination of proper dressing with the angler's tolerance levels. Fishing in frigid water is not for everybody.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, whenever I start to think COLD, I harken back to the years I fished down in Arizona. On the water before daybreak...in 90 degree air and water temps. Then off the water by 9 or 10 AM with air temps over 100 degrees and sweat running down my bare arms.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I tell folks when they ask how I handle the cold, as compared to the "nice warm" Arizona...I can add layers and play in the cold, but you can't take off enough layers to get cool in the heat.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Pat! I have already been working on building body mass so I can generate more heat, but unfortunately, it is going to take more than visiting Cabela's...I should probably be visiting Golden Coral instead. [cool]

Seriously though, I will look at all the things you mentioned, particularly not getting my feet constricted. I have been doing that part completely wrong.

Question...do you think getting neoprene pants to wear on top of my layers and underneath the breathable waders is the same, better, or worse than just getting neoprene waders? I saw this on Amazon and was curious if they (or something similar) would work:

http://www.amazon.com/Kutting-Weight-cut...938&sr=8-1

Thanks again. By the way, I need to come visit you soon. I need your help on putting together a new motor mount and any other PVC upgrades you may have refined recently.
"Question...do you think getting neoprene pants to wear on top of my layers and underneath the breathable waders is the same, better, or worse than just getting neoprene waders? I saw this on Amazon and was curious if they (or something similar) would work:"

[cool][#0000ff]For less than $20 more you could have a set of 3mm neoprenes. That would extend your comfortable fishing season a lot. There is an overlap period where it is a matter of choice whether you wear breathables with layers...or neoprenes with just a single layer. You develop your own preferences...but you have another option. And when it gets really cold there is no comparison to the difference in insulation.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Sounds like you have identified another potential area of improvement. If your feet get cold you just cannot focus on fishing. In the olden days we were very limited in our choices of waders, footwear and fins. I wore a size 12 then and size 13 now. Back then there were no XL fins. I had to sacrifice either layers of warmth or suffer constriction on my feet. I became proficient and getting in and out of the water and doing the "tubers' stomp" dance to restore feeling to my feet.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Today I can buy up to 5XL neoprenes and booties up to size 16. And that is what I wear. Plenty of room for bulky socks...and neoprene wader stocking feet...without constriction. And the XL Mares soft pocket fins...with easy adjustability...allows me to use the same fins all year...with different footwear setups. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know I would never make it these days if forced to use the same gear as I did 30 years ago. But, if you have a family and a budget you need to plan carefully and buy right. While some of the stuff is not all that expensive, it can add up to buy gear for multiple season use.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I am putting together a new 2012 buying guide that will have a range of options in all of the different components we use for tubing. I'll try to have that finished within the next few days. The good news is that the very coldest weather is probably behind us now but not too early to start planning for next winter.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]You are always welcome to visit. Let me know when you can break free and we can go through the options.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That all makes sense. Aside from paying for things, the hard part will be the sizing and fitting of the different layers.

Thanks again.
[cool][#0000ff]And to further complicate matters the manufacturers of waders...and fins...have different ideas about sizes. When I was last shopping for 3XL waders I tried on several different waders from several different companies. Some were close to a true size. Others seemed about two sizes too small for the ratings. Only one was actually a big bigger than what I considered to be a real 3XL.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Your inner layers need not be any different. The tough part is buying the outer layers to be able to accomodate all the other layers underneath. That is mainly in the booties, waders and fins. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It really helps to be able to try on the things you are buying. But if you have to buy online be sure there is a satisfactory return policy. And always better to get a bit larger than too small...or to pay a bit more than you wanted than not quite enough.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I use the chemical warming insole and toe warmers with adhesive on one side. They work great
[signature]