Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Virgin, Need Help.
I cancelled my spring trip to Lake Fork, Texas to go to Lake Powell instead. Times are tough and diesel/gas prices are putting a hurtin' on my adventures so I'm headed South to Powell in Mid-April. I've lived the majority of my life in Utah and have never been to Powell. I have confidence in what to use but what I lack is knowledge of the lake. I've been a member of BFT for 7 years and I've helped (mostly through pm's [Wink] ) many members out. I co-moderate the bass board and I'm hoping for one of those "pay it forward" moments, lol.
Here's the plan-Launch out of Bullfrog, find a good place to camp on the shoreline and fish for three days catching smb, lmb, stripers, crappie, walleye or whatever else wants to bite. I've got the launch out of Bullfrog part figured out but the rest? I don't even know where to start. I registered on Wayneswords tonight and I figure that's a start. Pm's are welcome as that is how I usually roll, thank you.
[signature]
WaynesWords is a great resource. How big is your boat? That will play a large part in determining where you should head.
[signature]
I go to Powell every year about the last week of April to first week of May.

First thing I would recommend is getting a map of Powell, like Stan Jones boating and exploring map. You'll need it for navigating, but it also has a lot of information, such as camping opportunities in the various canyons.

I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions, but here are mine.
If you are willing to go a longer ways, I recommend Iceberg canyon downlake. It has some camping spots, and it has varied fishing conditions, sheer rock wall, rubble, trees, deep water, and shallow, brush filled water at the backs of several side canyons. You can boat to nearby smaller canyons fairly quickly from your base in Iceberg.

Closer to Bullfrog, Hall Creek bay has some good camping spots, and good fishing for lmb, smb, crappie, stripers, and walleye. Also, you can boat to some close canyons downlake, and also fish Bullfrog bay.

Since the water level changes from year to year, recommend moving around when there is slow action in one area. It never seems to be the same conditions the honey holes that you find.

My two cents. Have fun!
[signature]
I would give try and PM Pezvela(Steve Henline) He is a guide out of antelope point marina and fished, and toured lake powell a whole bunch. He is also a great guy who I am sure might at least give you some good stories, if not more.

I was down there last year. We were there in mid April. It snowed on us the first day but cleared up after that. YEA it snowed on us in Wahweap. Anyways, at that time the largemouths and smallies were just getting started, and the stri[pers were easy pickin. We mainly just hung out on the beach at lone rock and fished from shore chumming anchovies. To my surprise we did really well catching around 50 fish or so in a day and a half. The only bad part was all the stripers we caught were hammer handles. Barely any meat on those poor fish. But they still fought really well. Hope this helps, I may be going down there as well again this spring. I just might wait till after 4/20 in hopes of better weather, plus I will be in Montana mid April. Good luck
[signature]
The smallie bite should really be turning on at that time. I've personally always found the best numbers of fish in Halls creek, it gets a lot less pressure and seems to have better structure.
[signature]
we go ever may. check out Trout_Slayer (well his posts about it). we get a house boat for a week. he tears up the bass all the time down there, i fly fish for crappie and blue gill but have started going after bass. around the first week of amy the weather is awesome, well has been in the past fo us. as said before check out wayneswords, best info about powell on the net
[signature]
Oh - fishing - right, saw the title and though it was some GGW advert for a minute! [shocked] [blush] [:p]

Holy crap batman! That's a load of fish right there! Gotta have a sharp and sturdy fillet knife to get through a load like that!

Sure wish Powell wasn't so far, or I could learn to build a tesseract! Maybe if I got some PVC . . .

[center][inline 200px-8-cell-simple.gif]
[/center]
So far all solid advice, check out Wayne's Words, especially the fishing tips section.

http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php/fishing-tips

From my bad experiences, get a map, and a marine radio.

You can spend a lot of time and gas exploring. On a short trip stick to day trips around Halls Creek or back into Bullfrog Bay. If you go further out, then you will need to take gas with you, especially if head down to Rincon or up to Good Hope.

I used to skip Bullfrog all together and go to Hite toss shad plugs up near the mudline.

I think the white Bomber Fat Free Shad has produced the most fish for me. Other lures to consider, Kastmaters, and Wally Lures are in my box for jigging along with a good assortment of tube jigs. A pumpkin tube jig in the rocks will get you a good assortment of bass. Little smokies or worms for the catfish at night when you shore fish.

Good luck and have fun!
[signature]
I've got a Viper Coral fish n ski. It holds about 40 gallons if I remember right.
Thanks for the help and pm's! I better go get a map so I know where these places are.
[signature]
Definately check out 'Wayneswords'.

Another piece of advice or two. Go into Moki Canyon (1st and 2nd small canyons on your left after you enter Moki).Fish where the rock walls have fallen into the water and left rock piles in the water. Try a 3" Pumpkinseed grub, Texas rigged with a 1/8 or 1/4 oz bullet in front, or maybe a 3" tube. Bounce it down the rock piles. If that's not working, then they're probably in a prespawn pattern somewhere near those rock piles, so keep searching likely prespawn type areas in the vicinity.

I also do really well in the main channel around many of the 'spires' sticking up close to the cliff walls on the south side for smallies, walleye and gills.........

Go up towards Hite and look near the backs of canyons for LMB. They seem to like medium to sparse vegitation or stickups near rocks in shallow water but with quick access to deeper water.

If you're looking for stripers, there are so many good places, it's hard to suggest a particular place. Wayneswords would be the best resource for hot locations.

BTW, I had a Viper Coral up until a few years ago and it was my favorite boat ever! Perfect for Powell. You can cruise the big main channel waves and chop going 50 mph or faster.

Good luck!
[signature]
A 3" chartruse grub has always been my go to bait for the smallies. Look for shallow water next to a 10-15' drop off and you should be able to find some fish. Also almost any main lake point will hold fish. I've been fishing that lake for years, and am willing to answer any questions.
[signature]
John dont worry your boat will be fine. If you want to catch large or small mouth I have done just fine with the stuff you taught me. The walley fishing is really under rated there but your normal gear will work fine. The funnest fish i think is the stripers and you just go into any canyon watch your finder for a school and then chum with anchovies. When i go down there i will take about 10 baggs and at each chum spot ill use 2-3 baggs. I usually cut them in half or thirds. also it is important to keep the anchovies as cold as possible it will help keep your bait on your hook. also use an old cooler for your bait because it will be a bait cooler for life. Them damn things stink. please let us know how you do because i am really itchen to go down there. And I dont think you will want to drive all the way to texas after you go down there. 5 hours beats however many it takes to get to texas.
[signature]
I have always fished moki canyon and camped out there. If you want kids to have fun anchor up on moki wall and let them catch stripers cats smallies walleyes and pan fish.Also its better if you just chum them up with anchovies I always knock them dead in that area .
[signature]