Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions about Lake Powell
Hey everyone,

I'm Kyle, i live over in Orem and i am new to BFT, i have spent some time today reading through a ton of articles today ( i am always researching different things about fishing) This site is an absolute gold mine, and i thank everyone for the information in advance. My question (although it may kind of a dumb idea) is, Would it be a good idea to take a Basshunter EX boat with a 5HP outboard and 55lb thrust troller down to Lake Powell fishing this year? I have really been looking to expand my horizons as far as species go. About 2 years ago i would exclusively fish for trout, I got a little bored and decided i really wanted to start catching some big fighters. The past two years i transitioned over to Utah Lake and i have caught some HUGE cats there (current personal record 15 LBS) I really want to start going for Largemouth Bass, Stripers, Walleye etc so in addition to any advice about lake powell aside from WaynesWord, i would also like a little advice on LMB and Walleye at Utah Lake. You can PM me or reply either way.

Thanks Again

Kyle
[signature]
Go to wayneswords.com. All the info you could ever need! You can email wayne the same? And he'll get u an answer
[signature]
you can totaly go down there with that little boat just be careful about the weather and dont take any chances. one of the best tripps down there was when my boat broke down and i just fished from the bank.
[signature]
Welcome. Yup - just watch out for the big "W" (wind - duoh - I shouldna said that!).

If you want info on Utah Lake - I'd highly recommend picking up Tubedude's "book". Check the for sale board, he's got an ad there. A worthy $20. Plus he's got a number of writeups on Willard. Walleye, Cats, Wipers, Bass.

BTW - Nice cat! They sure can be fun! Won't be long till it's spring cattin' and bassin time! Hope to find some prespawn Walleye this year myself!
I looked up your boat on the net. Be careful where you launch. I'd stay in very protected waters. Besides the wind, there are very large wakes from large boats to contend with. One thing I was struck by the first time I went there was the size of the lake. It takes forever to get from one place to another. Farley's Canyon, uplake near Hite, may be a good choice. You can get into White Canyon without getting out into the main channel. You may need 4wd to launch there though. Also, there are lots of smallies, cats and stripers within the confines of Antelope marina. Good luck.
[signature]
The boat itself is actually pretty stable, 2 full grown men can literaly stand on the edge at the same time and it will not tip. I keep two paddles with me anywhere I go with it just in case. Its light enough that I think wind would be the biggest iddue, but the 5HP motor pushes it around pretty well. I'm planning on doing alot of fishing at night, i'll be going for Walleye at first, but bass are also very active at night. Doed the wind usually pickup more at night? Over at Utah Lake it usually gets very flat for a few hours and depeneding on the weather it'll get slightly windy or stay glassy all night. So would late in the evening or really early morning be better? When are the least ammount of boats out?
[signature]
If you want walleyes you don't need to fish at night for them at powell. Just find a big rockslide that is in the shade. They are all over the place. We usually pick them up when we are fishing for smallies. Besides the fact that powell in the dark on the water is not a really good time, especially if it gets rough. It's really easy to get turned around out on that lake since everything looks the same.
[signature]
[quote JustJim]I looked up your boat on the net. Be careful where you launch. I'd stay in very protected waters. Besides the wind, there are very large wakes from large boats to contend with. One thing I was struck by the first time I went there was the size of the lake. It takes forever to get from one place to another. Farley's Canyon, uplake near Hite, may be a good choice. You can get into White Canyon without getting out into the main channel. You may need 4wd to launch there though. Also, there are lots of smallies, cats and stripers within the confines of Antelope marina. Good luck.[/quote]
+1
While I have limited experience at Powell, I have Kayak fished it and this is what I do. Plenty of fishing to be done in some of the side canyons with small boats.
[signature]
I don't have much experience at Powell. From what I understand, the wind will blow for 2-3 days at a time. Spring winds are pretty strong and sustained and the summer thunderstorms can be a real bee-atch.
[signature]