Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laundry Basket Apron
[cool][#0000ff]Over the past decade or so I have fashioned rigid tube aprons (sushi boards) from all kinds of things. Plastic container lids...and bottoms...TV trays, plastic dish trays, etc. Anything of approximately the right shape and rigidity has been fair game for apronology.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For a couple of years I have been lusting after the large white plastic laundry basket TubeBabe uses. Just the right size and shape. Came close to "appropriating" hers a couple of times...and to buying one for myself several times.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't let this get out but I sometimes hang out in Beds Bath and Beyond. After all, I am a chef and I appreciate kitchen gadgetry. A month or so ago I wandered back into another "zone" in the store and BINGO...there was a laundry basket that just had to have been designed as a float tube apron. It even had an indented "body contour" to make it easier to haul clothes around. At least that is what the label says. I recognized right away that it was designed to fit more comfortably around my ample midsection on my tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So...I said goodbye to a $10 bill, brung that puppy home and hit it with the little buzz saw. Cut the bottom part out...leaving a raised edge all around. Then drilled some holes around the edge to let water drain out. After that I rigged up my current system of bungee cord to fasten it to my tube, added a new BassPro plastic ruler and took it for a test ride.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It performed very well. Exactly the right size and shape. Now I gotta use it a whole buncha times and see how well it holds up long term. I'm willing to do the research.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looking good. Gonna try it tomorrow?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Codgertatin' on Willard...north marina.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hummmmm.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No high expectations. More masochistic than realistic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good stuff is a ways off yet.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thats looks great I will be hunting for one of those now, thanks[crazy][fishin]
[signature]
Fancy! That looks great. How is it for side to side fit on the tube?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Perfect. 22" width. Fits exactly on the posts I have set up for the stretch cord. Hard to find exactly that width...usually wider or narrower with the plastic tubs.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you for the usefull tutorial. We have a Bed Bath and Beyond across the river in the Free State of Iowa. I better get over there today before the float tube masses invade the place. Thanks again, Ilinoisgiller
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It's good you will not be going in a store too close to home. Otherwise you would have to wear a disguise to avoid being hooted at by your buddies. Those places ain't for he-man types like us.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Another great TD design. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. They look even better with fish on them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the (as ALWAYS) great pictorial-tutorial! I use the "new-style" (with raised apron) Outcast SFC. Could you post a picture of how you mounted your new apron?

Thanks!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Don't have any good explanatory pics yet. But I am finishing up with a new setup for another BFTer in my area and it includes one of those aprons and the "front deck" I install to allow the right kind of apron connection. Should have pics to post within a day or so.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I hate those new Fat Cat aprons.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Don't have any good explanatory pics yet. But I am finishing up with a new setup for another BFTer in my area and it includes one of those aprons and the "front deck" I install to allow the right kind of apron connection. Should have pics to post within a day or so.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][#FF0000]I hate those new Fat Cat aprons[/#FF0000].[/#0000ff][/quote]

Yeah, I remember your comments about that - and an adaptation as I recall - back then. Actually, I've gotten used to it... but have fought the battle of a "reasonable" measuring board.

I was trying to come up with an idea that was cheaper (my always-theme) than the purchased measuring boards. Although, not attached as yours is, I found a plastic "trough" that is really a gutter screen (for the house). I was just going to cut it to length, fit an "end" to it, and then use a sharpie to mark the increments. I should have under $5 invested so that IF I lose or break it, no big deal.

My motto is "Always looking for that better way"... which is why this forum is sooo valuable. Thanks for all your hard work and efforts in that regard!! [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As with most things in life...especially tubing and tooning...it is all a matter of personal preference. There are lots of ways to make something work for you. I am probably more opinionated than most and I have a never-ending quest for coming up with the "ultimate" in all the various aspects of tube setup.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are some pics from today that should give you a better idea of how I have the attachment.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also showing the newer method of attaching the ruler with zip ties.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I can see how you have INDEED gone to a lot of work to design this to fit... impressive!! How do you (intend) to place the head/tail against your measuring-board to get an accurate measurement?

If you recall, I was the one that modified the Berkley 3-rod rodholder to my SFC, so I don't have the existing "foundation" up front like you do. As impressive as your modification is, I probably won't have the need for something as nice as your version.

In addition, I've kind of gotten used to the newer styled "basket" apron that comes on the newer FC's/SFC's.

I mentioned my "measuring-board trough"... I've attached a couple of pictures of it. It comes in a 36" length, but you can cut it to any length you want. My intent is just to bolt-on a piece of 2x2 at one end to serve as the "butt-plate" up to which I'd place the fish's head. Maybe this idea will help others as well.

That's what this board is all about, right!! [Image: happy.gif]

Bob
Omaha, NE

[inline DSC00600.JPG]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The measuring stick is more for recording sizes in photos...not for competition. I generally just hand hold the fish up against the ruler and take the picture.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That was one of the things about the wimpy mesh aprons I didn't like. They make your fish look smaller...as in the picture of the 14" walleye below.[/#0000ff]

[inline "14 INCH EYE.JPG"]
[signature]
OK, I'll take the bait on this one. Are you pulling my leg that the walleye in the photo is 14" when the ruler appears to show that it is about 9"? Or are you trying to demonstrate that the ruler is not laid out by the inch and therefore gives a false impression of the walleye's true size? Call me gullible either way, but I am curious.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Gee. You're so easy you ain't even any fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you followed my many posts over the years you would realize that I do a lot of gag stuff...like positioning small fish so that they "measure" bigger. How do you like the 13" perch in this pic?[/#0000ff]

[inline "13 INCH PERCH.jpg"]
[signature]