Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cork or foam eva grips?
cork or foam eva grips?
which are your favorite
and why ?

here is a couple pictures of a cork grip i just made
[signature]
Cork. Lighter (or seems so). Easier to clean (can even lightly sand if necessary). Absorbs less water. I feel like I have a firmer grip with cork.
[signature]
cork for sure, looks a lot better to me and i like the fell of of it, seems to last longer too.
[signature]
Cork is nicer but getting harder to find quality. Other choices, Birch bark, rattan??????
[signature]
I perfer cork. And they look great. Only problem is I hate those reel seats cuz if seems like all you hold on to is the plastic?
[signature]
I just barrowed this pic from the internet but this is what I think a reel seat should be like but they rarely are. Not as good looking as yours but you grip the cork.
[signature]
Another vote for cork here also. Better in every way in my opinion.

Nice job on that handle looks good.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
If you check out the lightest rods on the market right now a lot of them have foam, I to love cork. Some of my new rods have foam and it is not bad and they feel nice.
[signature]
Cork in the cold months.
It does not absorb water so it stays warmer to the bare hand.
EVA in the warm months because the sweat from my hands doesn't make it slippery like it does cork.
[signature]
Either or for me.
[signature]
I've built lots of both and they hold up in similar fashion.

Cork gets my vote.

As far as alternatives you can use composite (rubberized cork) and in order to keep the weight down, core it out and install a graphite or poly arbor. Then your composite is relatively thin and your arbor is what the core of the handle is. Plus you can use different colors and pattern. There's some great articles about this on rodmaker.org.
[signature]
cork on fly rods and bait rods foam is ok on a spin rod but i have split the cork and that suks
[signature]
Depends on the kind of rod. I troll almost exclusively and cork does not hold up. It breaks down where the edge of the rod holder is. Hard strikes from trout, salmon and strikers put extreme pressure at this point. I am in the process of rebuilding the handles on all of my trolling rods with Eva.

Have one trolling rod with Eva and it has remained perfect. Probably cheaper to just replace the rods with new, but will enjoy rebuilding the handles as a winter project.

Love the ice fishing, but really looking forward to boating again.
[signature]
X flock is awesome as well
[signature]