Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower Provo Report for 2/21
http://simplyfishingutah.blogspot.com/
[signature]
The Keys trip sounds more interesting than a poor day on the Provo. Hope you let that big shark go in the pic. I got detoured to the Keys a couple weeks ago because my son tore a ligament in his hand a couple days before the trip. Paddling kayaks for a 10,000 Island backcountry camping fishing trip was out. In between the wind we got some pedal kayak fishing in. Looks like a far amount of wind and waves is also forecast for the next 5 days. The key is to just get out if it calms down at all. No pressure and plenty of baitfish get blown in. Lots of fast fishing in the resultant boils. Good luck.
[signature]
Speaking of Florida, will be down in S. Florida the end of the summer, staying right on Estero Bay, looks like some good fishing for Reds, Trout, Snook and a few Poons'. Hopefully will be able to get a few!
[signature]
The shark was let go safely, but hard to get back into the water. Florida sure beats the Provo, for sure. I have 12 days down there and the weather should be spectacular.
[signature]
That's good. It's good to catch fish you measure in feet rather than inches. Hopefully the wind will calm down after the first couple days down. They haven't had any real cold snaps to speak of and the water was mostly mid 70's when I was down there. Warmest I've ever seen in going in February most years for the past 10. Air temps were about 5 degrees warmer for highs[cool]. Enjoy.
[signature]
So "riverdog" how was the fishing?
[signature]
I had a small pompano on within 5 seconds of my first cast from the yak. And it just got better from that point. Because of the wind and waves we stayed fairly close to shore. Ended up with lots of sea trout, pompano, snappers and grunts. Nothing huge but I caught a hen trout that went 25 inches and a pompano around 20 inches. Hopefully the weather will cooperate so you can get on some redfish and tarpon.
[signature]
Thank Riverdog.
[signature]
No 'poons under the wind-protected bridges with water temps in the 70's? Especially No-Name. That's surprising.

Wish I'd have been down there, but I know how the winter winds can be in the Keys from Jan-March. I remember days on end just looking out the window at the whitecaps, rollers, and dirty water. There was always canals and high-tide skinny water though, and some lee sides of the islands.

I'm headed to Campeche Friday, and getting reports of "uncastable" winds down there lately. I'll soon see.
[signature]