Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 2/24
I fished Rockport from about 7:30am to early afternoon with a buddy. Caught a dozen bows between us to 17 inches. The bite seemed shut down shortly after noon. We went toward the dam from the launch, fishing near Juniper Campground in 35-65 feet. Most fish came 6-22 feet down on cutters, gizzies, and other small tubes tipped with waxies, mealies, and crappie nibbles. Ice was in great shape, well over a foot thick, and edges good still. Several machines were running about. Not much snow on the ice, so be careful of slipping on the bare ice! Almost lost a rod down the hole when we walked away for a bit to set up the shanty! Sunny with slight breeze... gorgeous day! [cool]

RANT: At one point, we were the furthest people out toward the dam on our side of the lake... Why do so many people on ATV's and sleds think it's okay to buzz within 10 yards of your tent (at speed) just because you are inside it? [mad] Wished I had a slingshot today!
[signature]
Glad you did good there! Guess that there can be a power squadron on the ice too! Sounds like they did not interfer with your success. Thanks for the post.
[signature]
Thanks for your informative post.
[signature]
Maybe i'll have to go out there soon, thanks for the info
[signature]
we went out on the rock on saturday . started about 1100 until 400 caught 5 bows on white split tail paddle bugs w/pink heads tipped w/nuggets..great ice, some big wind gusts, i heard one tent was lost into shore.plan on a return thursday..has anyone seen any perch ????
[signature]
They are there, you just got to move around until you find them. Here are a couple that wiperslayer caught a week ago.
[signature]
how deep are the perch this year...
[signature]
As their spawn gets closer they move shallow. We started off the winter catching them in water as deep as 50 ft. The last couple of trips they had moved up to 30 ft of water.
[signature]
got a few perch ssunday in like 28 29 feet. they are moving shallow like you said. here in a month they will be on the flats in like 15 feet. i cant belive how thick the ice was up there. i measuered 19 inches of ice where i fished. my sisiters friend caught 42 perch yesterday up there but he wont say where exactly he was fishing, so they are there its just a matter of finding them.\

tightlines
[signature]
Wow, he must have been over the mother load of perch. I haven't caught that many perch there in years but I'm sure it is location. Did he mention if they were all big ones or a mixed bag of sizes? How were the edges on Sunday?
[signature]
We were in a tournament up there Sat. from 700 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. Had alot of fun putting the shelters up in the high winds. Had a plastic bucket come screaming by us headed for the Dam. We were lucky and didn't end up with any wind damage.
[signature]
he said they wer all 9 inches plus with a few dinks. the edges were solid as concrete and the ice is 20 inches thick. it wasnt making any noise sunday. its thick but soft to cut through. im hoping he lets me in on that secret spot but if it was me i probly wouldnt say anything either[:p]

tightlines.
[signature]