Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Repair Question
I have a 1985 Bayliner with 85 HP Outboard, seems to run good, but feels like a miss, on one of the three cylinders. One cylinder, the plug looks different. I replaced the plugs, and that particular coil. Still a miss. I'm thinking power head or reed valves.

Three questions, any ideas, and any recommendations on an older boat for a mechanic shop? Is there a way to test compression on a 2 stroke?

It is a Force One (I think it labeled US Marine) 2 cycle outboad. Almost feels like an unbalance prop, rather than a miss, but I had the prop balanced.

This is probably not the place for this post, but I'm not sure where else.
[signature]
Try iboats forum. They've helped me out a lot on my Mercury.
Not knowing much about your engine, mine would miss, run ragged, and run a bit better when warm. Found out it was the power packs.
Good luck.
[signature]
I would recommend A Rock Prop. I know it says prop in their name, but they do good work on fixing, repairing and rebuilding all marine motors. I have taken them everything from a 15 Honda, 25 Merc, 175 Johnson and a 225 Merc and they fixed all of them. Good guys too. They are on about 3500 south and Main.
[signature]
do a comp test all cylinder plugs out and at wide open throttle,if all test close check your reed valve in that cyl. if that is ok check the carb in that cyl.in fact check carbs second after comp test[fishin]
[signature]
Lee's Marine in Hyrum. He's not cheap but he backs up what he repairs.
[signature]
thanks all for the help,
[signature]
Hey Uintaman, you said you changed the plugs and that coil. Did you change the plug wire to that cylinder? Wires can definetly cause a miss. This is the time to fix it. Soft water is coming...... Fishon
[signature]
Thanks, the coil came with wire as part of coil on this one. I am also thinking maybe points and condenser?
[signature]
If there is only one plug that has a questionable color to it, you would think it would be what you have changed. There could be a piece of dirt in the carb. Yamaha makes some real good carb and cylinder sprays where you spray into all the carbs while it is running and then choke it out with the spray and let it sit awhile. When you start it up you wont believe the crud that comes out and everything is sparkeling. After that you are suppose to put new plugs in so if you have your old plugs you would probably want to put those in first. At least it is something that is inexpensive to try that might work. It helped my outboard.......Fishon
[signature]
can you feel compression coming out of the carburetor on that cylinder? It could be a lot of things, blow by on that piston, loss of compression, reeds, dirty carburetor, ect. If you buy a book on that engine, they are pretty good for helping diagnose what's going on. They don't replace good hands on experience but if your mechanically inclined you could probably figure it out.
[signature]
Do engines of that year even have points? I thought they went to electronic ignition in the late 70's.
[signature]
X2 on Lee's Marine. He knows older outboards better than anyone.
[signature]
Thanks for all the help, it gives me some good ideas to try, maybe even Lees.
[signature]
Try adding some Sea Foam additive to the gas and run it for a while.
The Sea Foam did wonders for my used 6 hp trolling motor when I got it.
[signature]