Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salmon River Report
The time has come for ripping some lips...

Lets hear your reports.

Last Friday the river finally became fishable. Three of us did some playing from below Shoup down to just below the Middle Fork. We land 18 fish, including one super B run native.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. How are the roads getting down there? Is the canyon roads ok to get down in a car?
[signature]
wow that's a great day [cool]
[signature]
For the ignorant and uninitiated (such as yours truly), what does "super B run native" mean?
[signature]
The road is its normal spring road...ugly, but very passable in a car.

Not a "great" day, but a fun first day on the river. Spring fishing can get real good if you find a pocket of holding fish.

A "B-run" is a fish that stays in the Pacific an extra year. Usually these fish are over 30" in length. If you're below the Middle Fork you've got a chance a one of those wild Bs. They are fun fish!
[signature]
Thanks for the explanation, Huntsman. I'd love to see some pics of that behemoth.
[signature]
Im heading for Shoup first thing in the morning and staying the weekend. This will be my first time steelhead fishing. Ill let you know how i do Smile
[signature]
thanks for the report! Now I just have to make some time to get over there![cool]
[signature]
Take me with you! I feel a sick day comming on[cool]
[signature]
Sounds like a very good day . Heading over next thursday to try my luck. What worked the best. What should I try.
[signature]
Oneicehole, we did the best with a real small chunk of shrimp with a size 10 Corkie, but caught fish one numerous things. Tough to beat shrimp when the water is cold.

We'll be back out there next Thurs-Sat. Watch for an old white Chevy pickup with a small camper in the back, and Idaho elk plates. Stop and say hi...
[signature]
New report...

Fished Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Water was nice and mostly clear below Deadwater. Temp varied from 36 to 38 degrees. Landed 3 fish on Friday evening, and 1 on Staurday morning. Saturday was really windy, and made for a tough morning.
[signature]
Thanks Huntsman.

My friend's dad fished Saturday and Sunday out of a driftboat in the Colson Creek/Rams Head area. He caught 4 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.
[signature]
Thanks for the report
[signature]
We fished Carmen to Tower Saturday and hooked 3 and landed 2. Was really slow for us on that stretch. Sunday we went up river and floated Colston cr to Mckim cr and only hooked 2 and landed one. The majority of the fish are down below dead water still. Hopefully the warmer temps will get them moving good again. I hate going below Shoup this time of year. Way too many people for me.
[signature]
What kind of shrimp do you use for steelhead fishing?
[signature]
Shell on raw shrimp from the grocery store. Some people use sandshrimp too.
[signature]
Coon shrimp............. Properly cured accounted for thousands of steelhead when I worked the snake.......
[signature]
Could you elaborate? What do you mean by Coon shrimp properly cured?
[signature]
Coon stripe shrimp, try dying them pink, purple, orange, or red. Add some salt to toughen em up maybe a little sugar, and a splash of anise and you've got some good bait. Thats no secret recipe but its a good start. Use your imagination to come up with some cures.
[signature]