Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets dunk the donut!
[cool][size 1]Hey tubers,[/size]

[size 1]Well I am going to lauch my tube for the first time tomorrow at Irvine Lake . I can't believe how much junk I have to drag along just to fish off my tube. I mean usually I just take my rods, reels and fishing box and I am in business. Feel like I should have bought a Hummer 2 or 4x4 instaed of a G35.[/size]
[signature]
[size 2] It can be alittle nerve racking the first time. One little piece of advise;[/size]

[size 2]Put flipper on after you have sat down and kicked off shore. I see people all the time put there flippers on first then try to get in there tube and fall on there butts![sly][/size]

[size 2] Really funny. Another tip, make sure to net fish! Away from tube.[/size]

[size 2] Some people do not believe in netting on tubes but if the fish flips off your running a good chance of getting a hook in your tube or you[pirate][/size]

[size 2] As you get more comfortable you obviously will change things. And my final tip:[/size]

[size 2]If float tubing in the ocean, watch the tides! Remember ride the tide in ride it out. That is when fishing is the best ( Personal Experience ) Alot safer too ( Less footwork ) if you read earlier post to there are alot of ideas.[/size]

[size 2] And of course there's tube daddy![laugh][/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey fishfather,[/size]

[size 1]Thanks for the advise. One thing for sure is that you will not find me in the ocean. Too dirty.[/size]
[signature]
Just a couple more tips HAVE FUN!!! Have someone along to take pictures of you initiating you tube.

Then don't do what my friend did when trying to exit the tube ...fall out fo it see picture
[signature]
[cool] Hey Dryrod, just like fishfater mentioned in a previous post, don't forget your safety gear. when it comes down to the bells, whistles and chimes, cabellas has a safety strobe light and a whistle combo for 9.99 . Here's a pic of it.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0018190014714a&navAction=jump&navCount=2&indexId=cat20429&podId=0018190&catalogCode=ID&parentId=cat20429&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat390001&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.akamai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F01%2F81%2F90%2Fp018190ii01.jpg"][Image: p018190ii01.jpg][/url]

Be safe on the water and don't become a statistic.
[signature]
[cool]Het tubeN2,

[size 1]No problem. Bought myself an airhorn at Big 5. Sounds like a 18 wheeler on H2O.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey tubers,[/size]

[size 1]Well I baptized my Fat Cat today. Really an enjoyable experience. Liked how the Fat Cat and air cushions kept me well out of the water. The only problem at Irvine Lake this morning was the wind and the fog. Had to keep the fins moving all the time to prevent getting beach. Guess my legs muscles will hurt like hell tomorrow. Had several good stikes but no hook ups. Didn't take out the fly rod due to the wind. Hey TubeDude my rod holders weren't too practical. Once the reels and tip was added, stability was a real question. Don't like the vertical position of the holders. Will go back to the drawing board and devise a rack with a 45 degree angle. The air temp was around 60 but the water temp was 72. A mammoth brown flipped out of the water about 50' from me. Better to be flipped off by a brown than a SO.CAL driver.[/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
[size 2]Hey Dryrod,[/size]

[size 2] As I mentioned before those little 3-4lbs anchors work wonders. Keep you in place on the windy days.[Wink][/size]

[size 2] Nothing worse than finding a good spot then you can't stay there because of tides or wind![mad][/size]
[signature]
[cool]Well, I guess I might as well chime in. Whenever I take somebody out the first time, I suggest doing a "Dryrod run" (sorry). In other words, we start by packing everything properly in the vehicle...last in, first out.

When everything is packed, then we start taking things out and "staging". Everything that goes in the tube pockets is put in and checked off. The craft is topped off with air, and waders are donned. If you only have a short ways to the water, you can make a couple of trips without overexerting. If you have to walk a ways, you can strap your fins and other loose items to your midsection with a fanny pack or plain belt. Balance the tube on your head and carry the rods and other goodies in your hands.

Make a couple of practice loadups and work on paring down the amount of stuff you take out. You hate to get out on the water and find out you forgot something. But, it is worse to sink your craft under a bunch of stuff you will likely never need.

After a few trips, you will develop a mental checklist of the stuff you need and how you need to pack it and carry it. But, that is a never ending process. Every trip is different...different seasons, different waters, different species. differnet water temps and clarity. There will be some things that are the same on every trip, and some things that are different on most trips.

The important thing on the first couple of trips is to get used to the feel of your craft and to get in tune with the advantages it can offer as a fishing tool. Then you can concentrate on the refinements that will help you take full advantage of what you have.

Above all...just enjoy the heck out of it.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey fishfather,[/size]

[size 1]Will bring some nylon cord the next time and hook up to one of the numerous buoys out there. If that is not to pratical will make myself an anchor.[/size]
[signature]
Cabela's has float tube anchors from $9.99 to $22.99, see the attached picture.
[signature]
[size 2]Check this link:[Wink][/size]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=63603;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#333366][size 2]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=63603;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/size][/#333366][/url]
[url "javascriptConfusedhowEnhanced29;"][Image: p670985reg.jpg][/url]
[signature]

Hi there Dryrod,

BIIIIIIIIIG Mistake... maybe. Some of my best flyfishing catches of larger trout have been while slow trolling (flipping flippers) a Wooly Bugger, Zonker, Stoneflys, Matuka or other big streamer/fly on a weighted flyline and 9 wt rod.

The June Loop lakes are especially good for this type of fishing. I try the dam at Irvine for the slow, deep troll.

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 3]Hey JR, Dryrod and anyone else out there, What would you think about a trip up north to Bishop/Mammoth area around June of 04'??? I know some spots up there and it sound like you guys are familiar with some spots as well. It could be a fun experience and add to some treasureable memories.[/size]

[size 3]I usually like to go up around 2 weeks after the opening day.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey JR,[/size]

[size 1]I will give you the slow trolling concept every day, however when the wind keeps blowing you back to shore then you have to put your foot opps anchor down or do something else.[/size]
[signature]
[size 2]I would concur with JR on the trolling concept. With alot of fish this does work but sometimes when the wind is fighting you real bad you will have to make the call.[cool][/size]

[size 2] I think the anchor thing works for me due to tide and wind effect on my tube. Also if fishing Halibut and you find a spot they are hitting it's a good idea to stop and fish that area[Wink][/size]
[signature]
[cool][font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0080][size 4]Well....where's the report?[/size][/#ff0080][/font]
[signature]