Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Braid
I have always used spider wire when I have used braid, but noticing there are more brands out there now. What is your favorite braid line and why?
[signature]
To date I am still a big fan of Spiderwire, someone tested it against fireline at one point and it held a cinderblock alot better then the Fireline, i initally chose it based on that and have loved it ever since. I sometimes use a combination of the two when i need lowered visibility. Spiderwire up to the leader, and then a short length of heavy Fireline. Each has their advantages though. Some people have said power pro is pretty good but i have never tried it. Theres another thread on all of this titled "Which Line" that i started a week or so ago
[signature]
PowerPro has been good to me thru one season.
[signature]
I started with spider, didnt like it so i tried the popular braid at the time which was power pro. Well i hated it and i stopped using braid entirely for a few months. Got some info from friends that Suffix 832 performance was the heat and absolutely love it! I dont use anything other than suffix 832, great line, durability and knot strength
[signature]
I have used spider before and hated it the color seems to fade fast and it frays a lot. so now I use power pro and love it the color lasts long and holds up after catchin big cats all day.
[signature]
Does anyone have experience using braid on downrigger and over sized planer boards? When I first started using braid I was told it's extremely hard on the release pads, but that was many years ago. Is there maybe a new braid that someone has used with success for these two applications?

A big thanks for anyone willing to chime in.
[signature]
wiper mac - I would go with stealth spider if you are trying to use on planar boards.

Overall as far as braid I have tried many of them and samurai by Daiwa is probably the best braid overall as well as BAWO braid. They are on the spendy side so good for a couple key rods but overall the Kaizen by Seaguar or spiderwire is my choice.

832 and powerpro are good lines but too loud in the guides for me and too rough when casting lighter baits. The power pro slick has mixed reviews thus far....
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]Ok, just to be clear. You’ve used these lines in downrigger and planer board releases. This application will be solely for trolling rods. No casting or light baits will be on these rods. Heavy rigs only.[/font]
[signature]
Stealth is pretty click for release and the BAWO will hold its shape well (stays rounder than most braid).

Plan to change line frequently if using braid for this purpose. What is the main reason you want to go with braid on this application?

Also would need the drag/release looser than usual with braid - especially if trolling fast.
[signature]
Braid doesn't stretch, so it might not be the 'best' choice for a downrigger. Specifically, I'm thinking of kokes, with their softer mouth. They make a shock tippet for kokes, but, I haven't talked to anyone that has used braid on a downrigger with a shock tippet.
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]I’ve been building some rigs that are substantially heavier than the normal rigs I usually run. The 12 lbs Trilene XT just isn’t going to be up for this particular build. Thanks for your insight; I plan on rigging up a couple reels tomorrow with Spider stealth.[Smile][/font]
[signature]
Is it drag, strength or diameter that is your main concern?
[signature]
This will be for a Willard attack, no salmon there, just big old fat wipers.[Wink]
[signature]
Strength!!
[signature]
Hi,bout the powerpro,its great,but don't get it in 5 or 8lb,it gets flat and twist bad,use 10and up.I use it in 10 and 15,and I enjoy suffix in 6lb,and use fireline in 4lb,but it gets damaged quick and you have to cut some off,I add more backing from time to time,to make up for the line I cut from frays.P.S.I caught a huge lukinani,nearly 5lb.First the line gor wraped up in a rope with floats to some beach,then the fish was around a rock,but got it,found a nasty fray about 25' down the line from the rock,still got it though.

There is this Lukinani I caught which was also hung up a bit on a rock,5lber,with pic,4lb fireline "in yellow"
[signature]
I've been using Power Pro for about 8 years. I usually replace it at the beginning of the year, but it seems to hold up really well. I have something else on my ultralight rod, but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head. It's one of the Spider-Wire versions, but I'm not sure which one.

The only problem I've had with braided line in general is that 'Professional Overruns' (backlash) can get nasty occasionally. I usually use a flourocarbon leader.

Matt
[signature]