Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber River
Got a chance to finally go up on the weber for the first time. I just moved up here from provo so wasnt sure where to fish the weber. Just starting driving and ended up finding a really good spot that looked to be holding a lot of fish. Im pretty new to fly fishing and got to see my first BWO hatch, whiched lasted for a good 45 min. Wow that was pretty awesome. Didnt end up getting any fish but will defintely be revisiting that hole this next week. If anyone up here would like to go or wants to show me a few tricks I plan on going thurs or friday next week.
[signature]
When I fish that section this time of year I'll skip the BWO hatch and nymph on the way up. I'll then throw streamers against the far bank as I work my way back down. More productive for me than matching the hatch in winter.
[signature]
I mostly was using nymphs just threw some dry BWO while the hatch was going on, I didnt throw any streamers though.
[signature]
My next advise for the Weber in Winter or Spring is if one section isn't producing drive a few miles and try another section. When I have time to do this I don't think I've every been completely skunked.
[signature]
Were you up there today? I thought today looked like a good day for a BWO hatch with it being cloudy and a relatively warm. What time did the hatch come off?
[signature]
It was around 115, it lasted for about 30 min it was pretty awesome I have never seen it like that since Im kind of new to fly fishing mostly fish lakes but loving the river fishing now. Just wish I had someone to teach me the ropes, been doing a lot of reading and watching you tube videos lol.
[signature]
Light bwo hatches can be fairlly hard to catch many trout so I do skip them sometimes. If you have a good hatch going they are worth fishing. Use a size 5 or 6 leader. Emergers are worth a try. The one thing that always seemed to help me catch fish during a nice bwo hatch was to use a dry fly slightly larger than the hatch. I can recall fishing for a half hour with fish feeding all around my fly without a strike there. Then switching to a slightly larger fly and the fish suddenly take notice.
[signature]