Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Mantua ice is always good to me
Woke up kinda late this morning but the blue skies enticed me to load up the ice gear and head to Mantua. Mantua has always treated me well on the late ice. Today was no exception. Several inches of slush on some starting to rot ice provided a little adventure. Parked on the south dike and headed towards the hill. about halfway there I got pretty winded so I stopped and drilled a hole. First drop scored a 7" perch. That was quickly followed by a very nice bluegill. Soon I saw something very large on my graph headed to my jig. Bam! something real heavy and peeling drag like crazy. Finally got him topside and I had scored the biggest bass I have ever caught. Hard to tell size from the pic, but i measured him with a piece of my sled rope and marked it. When I got home I took a tape to that piece of rope and it was 19 3/4". I would say that she weighed near five pounds. Anyway, back down the hole she went. Ended up catching another that was right around 17". Ended the day with 8 keeper perch, 12 good sized gills and the two bass. Oh yeah, I was using a small white tube tipped with wax worm all day.
[signature]
Duuuddddeee! That is awesome. So much for "ice tent city" ruining mantua. That sounds like a great day CvFisher! Glad to hear of ya getting out again. No trout I take it?
[signature]
Not even one slimer today. I had the lake almost to myself.
[signature]
Great job today! I was contemplating either hitting Newton or mantua in the morning how were the edges at mantua and how thick is the ice?
[signature]
Nice hog right there! My guess is since the pressure has been almost non-existent, the fish wanna come out and play now- being such a shallow pond. Awesome you had the lake to yourself, that is a beautiful bass.
[signature]
Don't know how late you were there - maybe we saw you - seemed like a few parties out there. One on the near-shore too. Nice that big mama went back down. I dare say - I do hope you kept a few for a pan, with that collection of panfish. [:p]

Heck - maybe I can pull a weekday afternoon. One last run! I'd bet the bass are starting to feel the spring wake-up call!

I know I am! If I can get the boat out from under snow - might be time for some wet-water!

When do those Preston lakes start opening up?!
The edges were good. The ice varied from 3" to 7" depending where you drill. Yote we should hit it up again before the ice goes. I kept NO fish, just take one look at em and my stomach rolls. To much time eating aquarium fish in China I guess.
[signature]
I drove by there today, and I am sure I saw you. That was one nice fish. I am a little jealous, I must say.
[signature]
The last couple of years the Preston area lakes haven't opened until April. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be a lot sooner this year.
[signature]
whats special about the prestom lakes? good bass?

thats a nice bass man. it makes me want the ice gone though!
[signature]
They're closer for me than most of the Utah ones, there are a bunch to choose from, so you get variety, and there are several that don't get ski boats and the like on them, so I can fish from my float tube in peace.
[signature]