Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor on pontoons?
I have a toon and want to put a electric motor on it, to do this does it have to be registered through the state and if so do I need insurance prior to getting it registered? I have always just oared it but there has been some wind storms that have made me think twice she trolling might be some good change this summer.
[signature]
No insurance, as far as I know. I never had any. But yeah, it needs to be registered. It will be around $37, maybe more. As others will chime in, it is a ridiculous process because many of the people in the office don't know exactly what to do.
[signature]
BB is dead on. Mine did go up, it is $38. this year. Not sure how they determine or if they are all one price.
Insurance, not required. They will assign you numbers/letters, but you need to buy 3" number/letters and mount them and the UT sticker to like a plate. They need to be just like on a boat, visible from a distance and lined up properly for each side.
Not all get checked but when they do, they do expect them displayed right.

Maybe fill out one of these:

http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-656.pdf

Plates
http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/B...Poster.pdf
[signature]
I second Bama boys reply my first time registration was a little more but my second year was $38. Sad part is I still haven't put the motor on my toon. I was going to use it on a scout trip so I licensed it and then ran out of time to get it finished before the trip maybe this year. J
[signature]
18 bucks a year for insurance through progressive... covers boats motors and all of our gear
[signature]
38 for a canoe to. Up the last 2 years for me in weber county. But it is not 78 like it used to be.
[signature]
[quote kochanut]18 bucks a year for insurance through progressive... covers boats motors and all of our gear[/quote]

I will have to check with our insurance about the boat/motor. Lord knows those Gas motors cost as much as the boats.
[signature]
It's a ridiculous idea but it is the law. However I have never made the letter/number plack thing and have asked more than one officer and they have all told me they don't care about the plack as long as I have the registration on board.

Get this I have NEVER been checked since licensing my boat and the time I did get checked I got a fix-it ticket and since fixing it nobody ever even gave me a second look. But when it does happen I will have the paper on board.

BTW after the first year they have sent me a renewal notice right to my house and my wife pays it so I am not even sure what it costs any more.
[signature]
I just want to say, you are not alone on not doing the plate thing old troller. But, the law clearly states this is what is expected, paper work or not, so good luck with that one. I guess if and when you do get the $500. ticket it will make up for it, because the right cop can and will ticket and be perfectly in his or her right. Your choice.

[signature]
yea go and call progressive. i tried doing it via online and it was a pain, i actually called. once i explianed what the boats were they asked what i needed covered. i got both boats, the batteries, electrics, the gas motor on my big toon, ALL rods i own (i had to actually go out and give them a list of rods and reels and lines) and gear.... 18 bucks a year
[signature]
I am through Auto, but we have everything through them so boats should be an easy addition. Plus got the Aluminum now, for my Gumpy old man.
[signature]
As much as this pains me to do, I can't abide you guys calling Progressive's 1-800 number. I am an independent broker here in SLC, and I sell tons of Progressive boat insurance. Call me next time and avoid the ridiculous "customer service" of their 1-800 crap or their website.

That, and you'll put money in MY pocket instead of some weasel half-way across the country... (hooray for selfless plug!)

801-641-7641 anytime for a quick easy quote.

Dave.
Very good!!
[signature]
Do you really think the ticket for not having numbers on a plate is $500. I don't. Now if you didn't have the paper work then yeah you'd get a ticket But $500? Maybe I should call them and ask them.
[signature]
Maybe an exaggeration, Troller, but the fact remains, they have clearly printed that this is what you need to do for a boat of any size with a motor.

"VESSELS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE REGISTRATION
Boats registered in another state and not being used in Utah for more than 14 days.
Any boat that is propelled only by oars or paddles.
Surfboards or sailboards.
TO REGISTER IN PERSON
You can register a boat in person by visiting your local DMV office.
You must bring a completed boat registration application and proof of ownership such as a bill of sale, invoice, bill of lading, current tax certificate, certificate of origin, or out-of-state title.
FEES
Utah charges uniform boat registration fees ranging from $10 to $700, depending on the age and size of the watercraft. There may also be a search-and-rescue surcharge. See here for a more detailed breakdown of the registration fees.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Both the registration number and current decals must be clearly displayed on the vessel, according to Utah requirements.

"The certificate of registration must be onboard and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer whenever the vessel is operated.

View the proper way to display bow numbers and registration decals.

Remember:

No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
Only current year registration decals may be displayed.
If your vessel is required to be registered, it is illegal to operate or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is properly registered and numbered."

And lastly:

Seriously, this is the law at any price, and easy to comply, so why you doggin' it?
[signature]
It's just the rebel in me.

I pay the money, I have my papers, I just don't hang that plack from my boat.

For what it's worth I called around and found the fine is $119.

I do think it would have to be a real [#000080]deleted [/#000080]cop that gave you a ticket if you had your license but not the plack hanging from your little pontoon boat.

BTW I have never advocated not licensing your boat. I just think it's ridiculous to have to hang a plack from my boat.
[signature]
[quote OldTroller]It's just the rebel in me.

I do think it would have to be a real AHOLE cop that gave you a ticket if you had your license but not the plack hanging from your little pontoon boat.

BTW I have never advocated not licensing your boat. I just think it's ridiculous to have to hang a plack from my boat.[/quote]

So a cop is a [#000080]deleted [/#000080]for doing their job, specially when you know what you are doing is wrong?????? Right.....someone I wanna hang out with, just sayin'.

Keep reading, everyone is required to have paper work AND the letters and numbers, not one or the other.
Sorry, I am done with this nonsense.
[signature]
I am not debating the law. I only meant he'd have to be in a real bad mood to write you a ticket for that.

And you never offered to hang out with me any way so don't act like you were going to hang out with me until you found out I don't hang my numbers from my boat.

And for the record I have never given you anything but respect on here and every other online board so why you jumping on me over this?

I am glad you're done with this in fact don't even respond. Heck I was only saying it's a stupid law. I wasn't starting a revolution.
[signature]

. . .
I do think it would have to be a real [#000080]deleted [/#000080]cop that gave you a ticket if you had your license but not the plack hanging from your little pontoon boat.
. . . [/quote]

If you want to test your theory - I have the water for ya! He's not a DNR cop, but he's Barny Fife in the flesh by golly! Keeper of the world infamous speed trap through Mantua!

I think the registration for my 12 foot flatbottom is about the same. I think it's over 35 HP that kicks you into being REQUIRED to have insurance.
Hmm - progressive... would they really cover what a bucket-load of lures and gear is REALLY worth?
Wonder if you'd have to have pix to prove it - or detailed lists? I could just give them my Cabelas account to review!!!

IB4TL?

[inline 293512_290657420962407_284196511608498_1123867_1631394239_n.jpg]

BTW I have never advocated not licensing your boat. I just think it's ridiculous to have to hang a plack from my boat.[/quote]
Ken, I don't think the correct word is rebel. It starts with j and is a was a show on MTV.
If I was a fish cop and I saw 10 kickboats with motors, all with plaques and numbers AND a current annual sticker, except for one "James Dean" wannabe, guess what I'd be doing. And hell yea I'd fine you.
Rules is rules and I have a job to do.
My question is to you- Why should everyone else have to abide by the law except you? Why should I have to put stickers on my 14' tin boat? Why should my brother have to put stickers on his 26' little old boat?
Same reason you should put them on your boat. But since James Dean has been dead for 50 or so years, you can be the new "Rebel With a Cause".
And in all honesty, I could really care less if you hang your numbers on your boat. But the post IS about licensing a MOTORIZED kickboat.
[signature]