Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mack spawn
I am very familiar with the Mack spawn at Bear Lake and somewhat familiar with Fish lake. I however have yet to figure out Flaming Gorge. Are the variety of Lakers at Flaming Gorge all deep water spawning Lakers or have any of you seen them in the shallows like most other lakes containing Macks? I have read that one variety from the great lakes always spawns deep and that is what they like to put in resivoirs that get drawn down in winter so the beds don't dry before the fry emerge in spring. I have heard that the Macks in the Gorge were origanally from the Great Lakes. All I know is in the day a large percentage of them are in Linwood on the gravel pits.

Any ifo from you Gorge fisherman or women would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I love to fish for lake trout at the Gorge and I've never heard of them spawning shallow. About mid-October, when the spawn really gets going, you can tell where the fish are because boats will be clustered over them. The humps in the middle of the bay are the most active area but fish are also caught where they stage closer to the shorelines.

The big macks are almost always deep, even when the water is cool in the later fall and early spring.

Lake trout were never stocked into Flaming Gorge. They migrated down the river from Fontanelle Reservoir.

Good luck,

Dave W
[signature]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks for the info, DBW and welcome to the boards! It's nce to see another mack man gracing our presence. Do you fish the Gorge a lot? May be you can give some of us wanna be Gorge fishermen some tips on how to catch those toads.[/size][/font]
[signature]
DBW Thanks for the info and welcome aboard.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Welcome to the site
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I get to the Gorge 2-3 times a year and I’m by no means an expert. I like too many places and sports and so I don’t specialize enough to really get good.[/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]More and more people are targeting the macks during mid-October – it can get crowded in Lucerne Bay. I’ll often go other directions just because I don’t like fishing elbow to elbow.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]It's plenty crowed any weekend of the year in Linwood Bay on the gravel piles! Between the jiggers and the trollers it can be interesting sometimes![/size][/font]
[signature]
That is for sure. It seems to be something bordering a circus. You have Long Liners, Dowriggers, Jiggers that anchor,and Drifters all over the place. I was really hoping to find out that there are some areas where they come in really shallow along the gravel bars else where in the lake. Less crowds and sight fishing. Sounded like a bunch of fun. Maybe it's too good to be true. I plan on going to see what I can find either way. If nothing else I can join the crowds on a boats later in the day.
[signature]