Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stocked trout flies
Hey guys I fish a lot of ponds around close for a after work fly fish for a couple hours and starting to get frustrated. Ive been throwing lots of woolley buggers and streamers and nymphs and not catching much at the ponds. What's the best flies or Rigs for some stocked trout? I catch a lot on dries a little later when hatches start and the fish are feeding on top just having a harder time with the bottom feeders.
[signature]
Some good general flies I'd take next time you go:

Prince nymphs
Hare's ear nymphs
Pheasant tail nymphs
Zug bugs

These flies don't simulate anything exactly, but DO represent many food items in general or serve as attractors. Try these in sizes 14, 16, 18, even 20. Also, smaller size leeches or buggers in brown, black, olive, grizzly should work too. Sometimes, smaller flies are better, especially during the colder months. These patterns are always great to have in your basic arsenal for any Western waters you might fish. At this time of year, think SLOW when stripping in these flies...
[signature]
I gotta add #12 of all those flies (sorry, 12 is my go to [laugh]) Also Copper Johns.
[signature]
Oh yes, of course! And CJ's too! How could I forget to put #12's? It was late! [crazy]
[signature]
I second all those flies... And I have found on a sunny day a bead headed version of any one of them works really well.!!!
[signature]
Welcome Chazbart. Look forward to reading more from you. Beads are great.
[signature]
Thanks. I also like the fish the in flow areas. When the feeder stream is clear and the lake is muddy (in the spring or after a storm) it is often the only place on the lake a fly will work(visability). In the summer use an Ant or Beetle Pattern. There always seems to be fish, especially Trout in these areas.
[signature]