Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unsure on which tube to buy
Hey everyone, new the forum. I hate to make a post like this but I really don't want to regret my float tube purchase and being a complete float tube noob, I don't really know what to look for.

I've narrowed my search down to two tubes that I think are good for me. The creek company 420 ultralight float tube, and the fish cat 4. I decided on these two because they meet my budget criteria and look like solid vessels. I want to keep it under $200.

So what do you guys think would be the better tube for me? and how does weight factor into the maneuverability of a tube? or anything else you think i should consider before making a purchase.

Again, sorry for making one of these "this vs. that" post, but I appreciate any insight from you float tube vets.

Thanks,
Big Slammu
[signature]
Welcome to the forum. I hope we will be hearing lots from you.

There are several on here that have each of those tubes. I have a Fish Cat 4. I really like it and it is very maneuverable and durable tube. It does well in the wind.

The 420 is made of lighter materials, but it seems to have a good track record. The FC4 has vinyl on the underside which adds some weight, but it also protects the bottom from rocks, sticks, and other junk when you are launching and beaching. If you are careful with the 420 it should also last for you.

I would look and see if there is much size difference, or how much weight each will float.

There are several discussions on this forum about these tubes. If you scan back a page or two or use the search function, you should be able to find more material on them.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think you will get slightly more floatation from the Creek Company tube...given your weight of just under 200 pounds. If you get a good buy on it you will be able to use it for a few years and get used to tubing...and to learn what the important issues are. When you have more net spendable in the budget you can decide whether or not to upgrade.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yes, there are tradeoffs with lighter materials. But if you exercise proper caution when launching, beaching and fishing in tight spots you should not have any more problems than you might have with sturdier craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck. Let us know what you decide and feel free to pop back in with questions for getting properly set up and afloat.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would get the inflatable seat with the model you choose. The older green 420L has foam seats. That allows considerably more weight capacity for any added gear, and no slide forward, as well as position comfort, by tinkering with the seating position . If you are not in a hurry you might get on the Creek company email list for their discount code or click on the specials box when you visit their site. The 420's have been listed for closer to $100 as holiday specials with free shipping and all parts are also put on huge discounts periodically plus they are easily interchangable, once you get the hang of it. If you will be using a tube more that 2 times EVERY week and never pack in, it is better to go with the heavier models and brands.

Hope this helps.

Pon
[signature]
whats your budget? if your willing to spend extra cash for the best there is in the world:

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/

of course there are many other types, myself personally, we have a few different models and love them all, worth every cent, made in the USA (here in ogden as a matter of fact) and you can not beat the customer service
[signature]
I have the regular 420. The ultralight has the same weight rating. I'm 220 without any gear and don't even come close to being too heavy. Now if I turned it into a battleship like TubeDudes I might have a problem.[Tongue]
[signature]
[quote tlspyder13] Now if I turned it into a battleship like TubeDudes I might have a problem.[:p][/quote]

Whats wrong with the battleship setup? [Wink]
[signature]
The USS Ronald Reagan Float tube[sly][sly][sly]
Ron
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Everybody picks on us little guys.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Having owned both your decision is easy. If you want to save the money get the creek company tube. Go on e-bay and you can get one new with fins and pump for under 100 dollars shipped to you. You will hate the valves and eventually end up upgrading later.

The fish cat is a better built tube and the valves are sewn in! I would get the foam seat model if you want to sit higher but you can always order the inflatable seat for backpacking.

Koke is right though if you can save up I love my scadden!
[signature]
I can't help but play with all the toys and buttons. That many poles, lures, new mods and a motor every time out I'd never get to fishing.[crazy]

BigSlammu both tubes are close to the same. I don't think there is that much difference with the wind. If weight makes you nervous go with the 420. If not you will have fun with either one.
[signature]