Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittsburg lake af canyon
Is there any fish in that lake and if so how is trail to lake I have never been able to find the trail
[signature]
I have wondered the same thing and I say we find out together this summer! Unless you wanna ice fish it? That I can do my friend.

The one guy I talked to never got back to me about this one. Must be good!
[signature]
http://www.outdoorxpert.com/index.php?op...4&Itemid=1

Link above has details, also found on Google:

To get to the trail head take I-15 to the Alpine exit. Head east up the American Fork Canyon (Uinta National Forest) until you come to a fork in the road. Take the left fork to Tibble Fork Reservoir. Once at Tibble Fork stay straight following the reservoir. The road follows the stream that feeds Tibble Fork Reservoir. Stay on this road until you reach a fenced in area on the right hand side of the road. You will have to drive through a shallow stream to get to the parking area. The trail is an old mining road about 1 1/2 miles long. The trail is steep and offers little shade.
[signature]
I think i wanna take wheelers up there this summer
[signature]
Big Griggs
The lake is like all canyon hikes straight up. I have never seen a 4 wheeler on the old jeep trail that does not mean it cannot be done. The lake has a little camp site on the east side the remains of an old mining cabin and is filled with stunted brookies. Giant heads with 6 or 8 inch bodies. Sits on the south side of the Devils Castle.
When we hiked it they had piles of rock across the trail in several spots to discourage vehicles.The trail is on the North side of the Canyon midway between the split on the east end and mineral basin on the west.

Two things happen in this world, your either makin dust or your eatin it.
[signature]
Thanks for the info CB. I only toured there in the winter from west faces of mineral basin. When there is snow on the ground anywhere is the trail.[cool]

I have also thought about coming at it from the Devils Castle/Sugarloaf Peak side but by the time Snowbird/Alta will even let you do that the south faces get extremely warm and dangerous for avalanches.

I have a feeling I will be taking my ice auger there from snowbird, going down mineral just far enough, and skinning up the West facing hills of mineral basin to that drainage. Gotta get it just right though avalanche danger wise.

Thanks for the info, as I said the last guy I asked never got back to me.
[signature]
The trail is closed to motorized vehicles. Last time I was there there were a couple of state park officers just itching to write tickets. They asked me if if I had seen any wheelers on the trail since there were some tracks. So I would not recomend taking wheelers up there.
[signature]
guess i will have hike it
[signature]
I usually try to get up there once a year. I grew up in AF canyon, but have all but gave up on it once it became a world wide tourist attraction. Pittsburg Lake is an awesome place. Like has been said, the trail is closed to motorized vehicles. We used to ride our trials bikes up it before it closed off, but not anymore. At a good pace, you can make the lake in about 45 minutes. I don't recommend going until the middle of June. I have been up there around the 1st of June and it still had ice on it. This year might be different. Heck, they don't even open the gate at Tibble until around Memorial Day.

Also, as has been stated, the fish in there are stunted. Nothing of any size has been caught in all my outings. They are still aggresive and you can catch a lot, just don't expect nice fish. But, if you are looking for a nice hike, good fishing for small fish, and scenery that can't be beat, Pittsburg Lake fits the ticket.
[signature]
Salvelinus Fontinalis Stuntinitis.
[signature]
Did you end up going up there? I am heading there Friday night. How was the fishing? Are there still waterfalls into the lake? How's the road up there?
[signature]
How is your ankle? Are you going to be able to hike it this summer? Did your surgery go okay? Maybe have to stick to the pontoon for awhile. Probably find bigger fish. Good luck on your recovery. Later J
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1]Salvelinus Fontinalis Stuntinitis.[/quote]

Are you allowed to say that on the internet?
[signature]
my summer is shot for hiking and 2 months off of work.[bobscared][bobscared][bobscared][bobscared] the nerve blocker wore off at 2 this morning one hell of a wake up call but 9 pins later and one big ass plate I feel like crap at least 3 weeks till i get a cast and he said no casting of anything for 3 weeks[bobdumb][bobdumb][bobdumb][bobdumb][bobdumb][bobdumb][bobdumb][bobdumb]
[signature]
Holy cow you really tore things up. Is the fire headed your direction? If it looks like you'll have to evacuate let me know I'll come give ya a hand. Good luck on a speedy recovery. Later J
[signature]
we were next to be evacuted but we never did
[signature]
Glad you were okay that way. How you doing today? Is it starting to feel any better? Hope you get back on your feet soon. Later J
[signature]