Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton 3/15 and a question
Drove out to Newton with the little Coleman Crawdad yesterday with intentions of scooting around the edges of open water. But when we got there, it was completely ice free except for a sheet of ice about half the size of a football field (it was in the area where the island is a little more than halfway up the reservoir). I think we saw 3 different muskie surface, but that was it. I was marking a lot of fish in various spots in between 40-53 feet. But we never found anything. It was a nice morning out though.

I do have a question. Last year when all the flooding and high water happened, Newton just turned murky for a few days and then cleared up fairly quickly. The water went right back to being that pretty clear, bluish-green color. However, after all that rain that we had in January, the water in Newton is a completely different color. Through the ice, it appeared just murky, but now that the ice is off, the water has a burnt orange or rusty colored tint to it. And it has been that way since the middle of January or so. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is? Like I said, I figured the water was just murky and would clear back up, but it doesn't seem to be happening. And if it stays that way for a while, I wonder how it will affect the fishing. I know through the ice was a lot slower this year as compared to last year out there.
[signature]
Oh yeah baby.... musky time! Thanks for the report ;0) Newton's water was like this last year too for awhile. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that all the leaves and other organic debris in the water is what is causing it to be tinted like that. I know there's some area's of various South America rivers that have such a heavy organic load that they call it black water because the water looks like black coffee. Just a thought! Fred K.
[signature]
Drove by Newton and Mantua this evening. Saw no signs of ice at all!
[signature]
Yep. Was in Newton yesterday and Mantua this evening. They are definitely ready.
That was my theory. Two years ago it seemed really clear, but last year with the higher water and exuberant runoff it seemed very tea-stained. I figured it was due to higher water, more submerged brush, hence - leaves.
Stained the water brown - but the clarity was still good. Had no problem seeing big Bass and passing Musky as they completely ignored me!

With all this wind - I'll bet the last of the ice will be gone pretty quick. Might be time to try treking North - I'm guessing the Preston area lakes are probably opened up too!

Bama-Boy - you're gonna have to start spiking your hair if you keep fishing everyday! Jealous a little? Hell YA!
Figures - we have great weather ALL week, then what does the weekend bring....[mad]