Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
walleye gear?
hey guys iwas ust trying to get some info on favorite walleye baits and or lures. been wanting to start fishing for them a little more seriously on some of the waters as they should be starting there spawn. any info on jigs lures and colors. how to fish them and about where i should look for them. i know i asked a lot of ?s, but im definatly a newb when it comes to targeting eyes. any help would be great. thnks

tightlines
[signature]
I think a lot of us are trying to figure out this same thing. I have found that nightcrawlers are my most consistent bait for walleye and you have to fish right off the bottom. But the first problem is finding the fish. I need to figure that part out because I tend to have a lot better luck fishing where the fish are. Then I have done okay with bottom bouncers and a worm behind a spinner blade. I just use a wedding ring type and have caught fish. But I can still count my walleye on my hands and foot but most of them came last summer so I'm pretty new to it and I've got a lot to learn. Good luck J
[signature]
Bottom bouncer with worm harness if trolling. Jig and a worm or various crankbaits if casting and/or soak a minnow. Saw a few new baits at the expo that were for kokanee believe it or not that I'm going to try and recreate if I get a minute because with a little tweaking and a different than intended presentation I think will get walleye as well as some panfish. If I try it I'll report.
[signature]
go to the in-fisherman site and click on the walleye link. lots of good ideas there
[signature]
I intend to post a bunch this year on my various forays to Willard and Utah Lake on the subject of walleyes. I have not been enough his year to know what they are really biting on. Sure to post every weekend starring next weekend. Maybe this weekend if I can get my yard in shape.
[signature]
RMT Assassins are walleye killers. I bought a few at the expo 4? years ago. I've lost a couple but still have some left. They are designed for kokanee but work great for the 'eyes. Those UV tubes aren't just for kokanee either [Wink]
[signature]
maybe ill give some of those other baits like the uv tubies. they do look good for walleye.
[signature]
I don't have a boat but fishing from shore I've caught walleye floating a worm off the bottom in both Deer Creek and Starvation. In Starvation I've also had decent luck using a yellow and orange roadrunner marabou jig, but I've never caught huge ones. I caught my first walleye in Willard last April, casting a pink and grey/silver minnow shaped plastic on a black jig head, and bottom bouncing it on the retrieve.
[signature]
I'm a member of that club. Club "wanna-walleye".

I love In-Fisherman. I picked up some of their books (used off Amazon) including a couple on finding and targeting Walleye. Maybe if I actually READ them instead of just looking at the pictures. . ..

Also you can find lots of Walleye tips and techniques on Youtube. I've confirmed that I'm doing the right thing, I just must not be doing it in the right place, or at the right time.
But - I'll keep trying!
For all I know - I found one of them that'll come up and suck up the worm, then just swim along with ya!

Those Canadian shows, or Minnesota types where they are just slamming big Walleye, and then complaining that it wasn't a Pike - ugh!!!

A certain crafty lead-head pours some of these, and they come highly recommended for Walleye (and other stuff). I was told the orange tufted ones in particular do well on the toothy buggers.

[inline PBJ.JPG]
[inline PBJ2.JPG]
[cool][#0000ff]WHAT TO CATCH WALLEYE ON?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This question comes up several times a year. I never sneeze to be damazed at the wide variety of answers...and the passionate answers that THIS or THAT is the ONLY way to go. Somebody once caught a walleye...or two...using a certain lure and/or bait and they are forever the ex-spurts on walleye fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I've managed to catch a few over the years...some on purpose...many by accident. And like most dedicated wallieholics I have a "basic food group" that I fish with confidence when conditions are right for a particular style of fishing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you carry a good assortment of plastics and heads, some spinners, some diving crankbaits and some nightcrawlers you will be able to catch walleyes...if you can find ACTIVE FISH. Colors? Everybody develops their own favorites...you know, the ONLY ones that will EVER work. But the truth is that if you put almost anything in front of a hungry or otherwise active walleye it will likely get bit...some time or another. It's for true that wallies can get picky and pattern on specific sizes, colors and flavors. But for the most part they ain't all that particular. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, the method of fishing can make a big difference. As a general rule you will catch more toothy critters on something low and slow than on high and fast. It pays to use small heads on large plastics and fish them as slowly as you can without snagging the rocks. Ditto for cranks. Use ones that run just above the bottom and which have a good action at a slow retrieve. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Walleyes will hit a lot of different baits but there are more caught on crawlers than about anything else. A close second would be dead minnows...fished on or just above the bottom...or used to tip jigs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have kept fishing logs for years and I have files full of pics of fish I have caught...and the lures upon which I caught them. Can't count the number of different types, sizes, colors and actions of the lures that have caught walleyes for me over the years. Ditto for the baits upon which I have caught them...or seen them caught.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For those who whine because we can't use live minnows in Utah, here are a few of the things that I know that walleyes have munched:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worms, minnows, carp meat, white bass meat, perch meat, chicken livers, catfish stink bait, hot dogs, hamburger, rancid elk meat, anchovies, squid, smelt, sardines...etc. Granted, most of the "wierd" catches were one time only deals...and you will do a lot better long term with worms.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Okay, that is only lures and baits. And all of that is influenced by time of year (spawning/feeding), water temps, water clarity, depths, available food supplies, fishing pressure and water activity, etc. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short, it's okay to have a favorite lure or bait. In fact it is always better to fish something which you can fish with confidence. But don't laugh at the guy next to you who starts slinging some wild and crazy "bargain barrel" lure from WalMart. He might just outfish you on any given day.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey TD what type areas are eyes hanging in this time of year? Cutler reservoir is probably similar to Utah lake only shallower. It has a big (Bear) river feeding into it and it is probably cooler and a few weeks behind. I caught my first channel cat of the year Friday. Water temp was 50. After the runoff I usually pick up eyes in the river but I don't know where they are hiding this time of year and don't know what to look for as a spawning ground. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks J
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I haven't fished the Bear above Cutler much. But I have caught some nice fish in deep runs below the dam.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If I were on a wally search above Cutler I would look for faster water in deeper runs for holding and spawning. Rocks are also good. During the day they will usually be laying on their bellies in deeper and slower water but will move to the shallower and faster water during low light periods.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After the spawn the walleyes will follow the food...like newly hatched carp, bullheads or bluegills. So where you find the littler fish the predators will likely be nearby in deeper holes, where they wait until low light or hunger pangs move them to the feeding areas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fish slow jigs in colder water and spinners or crankbaits when the water warms and the post spawn fish are more active. And just remember, it is illegal to use live minnows...but not live crawlers. Probably more walleyes caught on worms than just about anything else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's about as much as I think I know.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you TD that gave me a few ideas where to look. I've been thinking they may move to the reservoir to spawn but I haven't graphed a fish so I'll go back to the river and look. That's where I usually find them so I should have checked there more instead of trying to find them where they weren't. Thanks for the info. J
[signature]