Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castaic fishing report for 10/11
[cool][size 1] We started off at the Lagoon around 5:30am. There were plenty of jumpers out there on that 75deg water. Nothing taking the topwater presentations. Gonna take the flyrod on the next trip for sure.

With the sunrise came the sunfish family. Swarms of hand size bluegills. They were hitting verociously on wax worms and baitbugs tipped with crawlers. None were big enough to make us happy except for one that looked to be around 2". Ha ha. I didn't get a chance to land him on the pier because he was stolen from me by Torpedo Tommys cousin. Looked to be around 16-18lb LMB. Sad to say my ultra light weigh set up was no match for him.

He really took me, hook, line and sinker. But I did learn some bait options from that experience. My son was entertaining bluegill as well and managed to get a LMB. Only one landed for the day. It was @ 8" in length and released back to the lake to grow up.

The release was just in time for the game warden to witness that there was some proper C&R taking place.

4 other anglers there were issued citations for not having license. DUMB. They also lost their gear. Too Bad. They were harvesting anything that they could catch and deserved what they got for not following the rules.

Until next time, Moby Dick, Tommy and Cuz are still smiling and happy.

left around 10:15 am. Water was now close to 78 degrees and air temp was close to 81. [/size]
[signature]
[cool]Good report. One question. Was that 9" largemouth measured California style or Texas style. Texas style measures between the eyes.
[signature]
[cool]Check the attachments at the bottom. No Dragonflies yet, but I will be sending some shad poppers and some Pistol Petes for you to try...along with some purple jig heads, etc.

Those flyrod shadlets have worked well wherever bass herd shad to the top. I was thinking that the thin "pencil popper" design might even be an acceptable representation of a dragon fly.

The pistol petes have a small spinner blade at the front of the fly. They were designed to be fished in running water, but quite a few fishermen have found that a brisk stripping action makes the spinner move pretty good too.

Hey Taipan, what do you think of the black Pistol Pete. Does that look like something you might ever use?
[signature]

Hey there tubeN2,

If my memory serves me right, you said you would take the fly swatter the NEXT time you went in a post or so ago. Well.... wasn't this last time the NEXT time? ha ha ha

Golden shiner, threadfin shad and red shiners can be used as bait in our area but I think our little bluegill buddies are off limits for bait. If caught, I'm sure your gear will reflect the fact you were fishing for sunfish not Tommy! ha ha

I hope Tommy, Cuz et all were checking out the dumb humans and clapping their fishy fins. Can fish do cat calls?

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] Hey TD, Those all look like a good selection of workable pieces. On the first pic, the very bottom right one could do some damage with just a twinge of purple. I will sample them as they are and then report back to you. Some of those look light enough to use on the flyrod. I will be taking the flyrod out this coming Sat. At that point I can give your selectio a full workout. I look forward to testing them.
[signature]
[cool] Hey JR. I have to use the scouts honor thing now. I promise to take the flyswatter on the next trip. If you take a look at the pics from TD, you will see some of what I will be getting to test out and report on.

As far as gear goes, my son and I usually take a couple of ultra light rods for toying with the little bluegills as well as some medium weight stuff for hurling out some of those swim baits. But we have recently added to our arsenal. We have a couple of rods capable of handling a bass up to @ 40# if needed.

I was not expecting Tommy or cuz to come after my gill. And you cannot fight a big LMB with 2#test at 8 to 10' above the water. ha ha. Just no match.

I really think that if I were to intentionally get him to hit, then I would be much better with a 10 or 12# spider wire.
[signature]
[cool]Those are all floating poppers, made for my 8 weight flyrod. However, you can cast them a short distance with light spinning.

If you wanna "purple" them, get a permanent marker at an office supply store. I have a whole collection I use for customizing.

I will be sending you one of those floating buzzbaits that I have adorned with a back of purple glitter.
[signature]
[cool] Thank you in advance. I can't wait to receive them. I will be going again on Saturday and it looks like we will be going to Catalina on Sunday. We will probably try for some Calicos and Sheepsheads out there from the pier. Any fatherly advice on the Cali's???
[signature]
[cool]The "Care Package" goes in the mail today...so you should have some new trinkets for Saturday.

On the Catalina calicos, just fish them like largemouths. They will hit all the same plastics and jigs as largies. However, big plastic swimbaits are the preferred lures if you don't have live bait...or fresh dead squid. They will hit any light colors...from tans to whites to two tones with some blue or red in them. They also hit some of the bass tubes, like motor oil, purple, etc.

Around the piers you will likely find several species willing to play. Take a range of lures and pick up some squid to tip your jigs. I used to love to play with the Catalina blue perch on light tackle. They can get in there by the thousands, if the calicos don't show.

Sturgeon Kid just got back from a shorebound trip to the island and did very well on standard bass tackle...taking some big calicos up to about 8 pounds. You might try PMing him for some tips.
[signature]
Hey thanks there TubeDad. I will give them a run for their money. It looks like Sean and I will take care of our business while the girls take care of theirs out there. We are going to take the early boat out there and the late one back. Should be fun. Don't think we can take the tubes out there to Avalon. So we will mostly be fishing the Pier and maybe those deep kelp beds.

I have been diving out there several times and got a good hand on the topography of the ocean floor there locally at Avalon. The little kelp forrest is really spectacular from under water.
[signature]
[cool]When you were just a pup...and before...I did both a lot of diving and fishing around the island. I used to favor the Isthmus area when I could get to it, but anywhere the roads hit the beach there are usually some rocks and kelp within range.

You are right. The kelp forests in the clear water over there are almost a religious experience on a calm day, without too much current or green water. But the latter conditions can often bring in some white sea bass.

Hope you guys have a great time.
[signature]
[cool][cool][cool]Sounds like I should rig for light and medium action. Just can't wait.
[signature]