Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catin at Willard 03-29-12
Mike4cobra and I hit Willard again today with some hi hopes of putting some eyes or wipers in the boat but it was not to be. We fished Freeway bay from 8am to 1pm and got 4 cats trolling Lindy riggs. Water temp was 47* when we started and warmed to almost 49* when we left. Always fun to get out on the bay for some fishing with Mike but I think it will be another week or two before the catching starts to improve with the eyes in the spawn mode. We talked to two other guys fishing the bay today, they were mainly after eyes, and they got skunked, one of them drove down from Idaho.
Anyway here is a pic of some standard willard cats.
WH2
[signature]
Classic cookie cutters right there. Perfect.

Smoking or frying?

Thanks for the report. Confirms for me, I'll go play on the river before I head down there yet. Needs some more sunny days for a stretch. To bad we've got clouds, rains, and more storms coming (not to mention the big bad "W" shhh).
I'm going to fry these, we tried baking them last time, because it's healthier, yuck, I go with unhealthy and yummy[Wink].
[signature]
I've really enjoyed some baked catfish. I know it's not TD's preferred. But long- low- and slow seem to be the key. Not quite, but almost like making beef ribs. Want them to melt off the bone.

Of course - I pound 'em with Cajun spice or some such, then get accosted for making food too spicy! [Smile]

Seems like the kitties are waking up. The bit will only get getter!
Glad to read you did not get completely skunked. At 4 fish you probly did better than most the fisherman there...those kitties sure do taste good out of that water....love em in Tube Dudes breadcrumbs as well as cajun breadcrumbs...can't wait to try smokin some cats this year. I am with you....I go for yummy and unhealthy!
[signature]
You didnt mention WH2 that the kittys were agressive as heck. You would think they are starving to death.... I've caught my fair share of cold water kittys out there (accidently) and this is the hardest they have hit this time of year. Maybe the predators plowed through ALL of the shad this winter..... or they just like my lindys[fishin]
[signature]
[quote mike4cobra]You didnt mention WH2 that the kittys were agressive as heck. You would think they are starving to death.... I've caught my fair share of cold water kittys out there (accidently) and this is the hardest they have hit this time of year. Maybe the predators plowed through ALL of the shad this winter..... or they just like my lindys[fishin][/quote]

Nothing but moss in their guts, you might be right about the shad numbers being greatly reduced. The last time the baby shad numbers were down like this we had wiper boils in the late spring just before the shad spawned. It will be interesting to see what happens this year. Still surprising no wipers wanted to play but I think that will change in the next few weeks.
[signature]
Wow, 49 degrees! Maybe I am running late in my fishing this year but that seems a little high for this time of year. If it is, then my wiper schedule will have to move up a little.

Can anyone tell me what "normal" temps are for Willard this time of the year?
[signature]
It is close to the same as last year. On april 2nd of last year the water temp was 45* according to my log, so it is 4* warmer. In 2009 on march 27, the water temp was 42*.
I thought you kept a log Ralph?
[signature]
I was out walking the south dike friday.. 1 wiper hook up but it was a long line release.. Fished 7 hrs.. Thanks for the temp report also..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT !