Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New boat and motor, pictures and video.
Well I did some trading. I sold my old 9 foot FC9/ Sportsmans 9 a couple months ago. I had my eye on a new Sportsmans 10 that had been on the shelf way too long.
I picked up the new boat for a great price. It was like 200 or 250 difference with my old boat.
At the same time a new wind was blowing for the motor. I noticed a small motor in Cabelas and did some research. This motor is a Coleman made in china like just about everything else. The thing I liked about it was it is light. It weighs 37 pounds and that is a bunch lighter than the battery and trolling motor.
Another thing I liked was the motor can be turned 180 degrees to run in reverse.

Well today I took out the new boat and motor to give them a try. I went to Bell Rapids area. I was thinking that I was not going to see anyone there. I was wrong. I saw Idahopanfish and he was trying out a new boat. I also took a friend of mine from work. I sold him my old boat and he was trying it out. Well After getting everything set I took off from the dock to catch up with my friend. I fired up the motor that was laying on it's side. There is a reason the manual says "don't lay this motor on it's side" I found out. A little of the motor oil seeped back into the cylinder. SO when it started the smoke was rolling. Note to self, don't lay the motor down dummy!

It started and ran good. It took a little to get used to the new motor and going forward for travelling speed. It would go just as fast backwards but I had one small problem. Going forward the motor goes deeper since the front of the boat comes up. Going backwards the motor comes up. If you are going under 3 mph backwards it is fine. If you open it up in reverse the anti- cavitation plate comes to the surface. If there are any waves at all the motor cavitates going backwards. It doesn't do that at all in forward. So, I could either lower the mount or just not open her up in reverse. I am going to have to play with it some more to see what I want to do. In this video the loud noise is actually my camera rattling. Here is a picture and a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGgAXykU6...e=youtu.be

[Image: Pontoongasser3.jpg]
[Image: Pontoongasser4.jpg]

A four hour run is hardly a good test of the motor and boat. So far I like it a lot and can't wait to try it some more. I am hoping that the little extra power can get me into some of my catfishing and sturgeon spots a little easier. I am also thinking that this will cure the dead battery problem I always seem to have after trolling for walleye for 8 to 9 hours.
I still have some tweaking to do. I guess more to come. Ron
[signature]
gas power is the way to go. ill race ya some day! [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice. That should make life easier on the river. I'm betting you already have your first few trips planned.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD yep I do. Cats and sturgeon on on the list for trips.
The Snake between Swan Falls and Brownlee dam has so much great fishing. FLoat trips are the best way to go with out a doubt. Unfortunately floats down river are not possible without some kind of help to shuttle rides. This puts a lot of work and planning for just a days fishing trip. Even to the point of finding someone to fish with me and then taking two trucks so we have one at the take out.
With the gas motor I will be able to go up stream to some of my holes and then float back down. With this method I should be able to find spots on the fish finder that look promising mark them with a GPS and make sure I hit them on the way back.
The biggest question is how slow can I get it to go for walleye trolling. From what I saw it will be close. I will just have to do a lot of testing[fishon]. Ron
[signature]
Gets me thinking... How much was that motor?
[signature]
on your little boat? you could pull me and a water ski'er behinde you!
[signature]
Yes but it would eliminate the need for the battery that takes up room behind the seat. Plus I could get across the lake wicked fast!
[signature]
if you want, when we go out some time you can stick my 4 horse on your boat for giggles.... you would need to wear a helmet and goggles because i honestly think you will set a new water/toon speed record
[signature]
Or sink. I don't think you will want to go forward, your seat will fill up with water specially on that small of a boat. That is why Alan turned his around.
Zach, you need to mention also that you and Alan do not use the gas to troll. It goes too fast. You guys use it to get to a spot then anchor down. The electric is what will get you into fish.

I don't want to come off that Gas is a bad idea. Heck we tried it 10 years ago, but the gas motors have come a long way. All I am trying to point out, they are not a substitute for electric, they are just different and do different tasks.
[signature]
They are listed for 650.00 I got mine for 600 even.

When going forward the front raises and the back goes a little deeper into the water. The bottom end of the motor is covered good and runs great.

When I turn it backwards the thrust of the motor lifts the motor up. You have to go slow in reverse or any small wave will cause the motor to cavitate. I trolled in reverse and it did fine when I ran it under 3 MPH. I got into some choppy water below the dam and the chop would cause it to cavitate. I need to run it more to see if I need to lower the motor a little. Ron
[signature]