Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murdock basin 10/11/03
I finally got sick of not seeing any elk for the second weekend in a row, so I headed to the holding ponds for the duchesne tunnel entry in murdock basin. There were a couple of small side ponds to the big ponds created when the water was drawn down, full of brookies that were destined to die, either by full evaporation of freezing solid. That holding of water was only a foot deep at most and 10 ft X 10 ft. So i sat there for a couple of hours catching about 150 of them. I would catch them one at a time and take a 30 yard dash over to the stream and release them there. I am sure if anyone was watching, I looked crazy. They were only about 6-10 inches. There was one in there, that was easily 20 inches, but couldnt get him to bite. there were still hundreds in this little holding of water when I left that will certainly die in the next few weeks. even though illegal, to bad someone doesnt net them and move them over!!! But it was fun catching them every cast on both a small mepps spinner and later i changed to a small hook and salmon eggs.
[signature]
to bad that you saw no elk. but thats cool that you thought about those fish and moved them not too many would. so thanks for keeping us in a few more fish for next year.
[signature]
Great idea polokid! I probably would've done something like...if I would've thought of it! I'm glad at least some of those trout get to keep growing bigger!

I did something similar, although stupid, when I was a kid. I was fishing at the bubble up at Utah Lake, and a friend and I kept catching white bass and running them (30 yards) over to the Geneva cooling pond and tossing them in. Don't ask me why we did it, I would never do it now, but your case was quite different I think.
[signature]
funny story polo. i have done that several times at different lakes though. we would net the poor little devils and throw them in the lake. maybe its illegal but i cant sit and watch a whole bunch of small potential hawgs lay and cook to death like that unless its my frying pan.
[signature]
I thjink that was a great thing to do. Saving our natural resources from being wasted. Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]