Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tibble Fork again
Went to Tibble Fork again this morning with my dad and brother. My brother wanted me to teach him how to fly fish even though I am still a rookie, so I thought it was going to be pretty difficult. Went to the same spot and there was a lot of rising fish just like before but I didn't have any small dries, only a #12 parachute adams. after throwing that at them for a good 45 minutes to an hour. I saw them look at it and then just not interested at all, so I decided to use a #20 WD-40 and try to put floatant on it to see if it would float. To be honest I couldn't really see it but I felt a fish on, so I found out that obviously the fly was sinking and the fish were eating them. After catching 3, I gave one to my brother to tie on and he also got a fish. It felt really cool watching him catch a fish when I taught him, even though I myself have a lot to learn. I ended up with 4 fish again, 3 lost again, and to be honest, couldn't tell if I missed any. I also got to use my new 2wt which was a blast! Had a great Easter morning on Tibble Fork!
[signature]
Good on ya for getting out on the river! Little advice from a noob to another noob. If you were to take a section of river and divide the water column into 3 equal parts.

Top - 10% fish count
Middle - 20% fish count
Bottom - 70% fish count

The majority of the fish you catch will be on the bottom. . It takes a fish almost double the calories to swim to the surface, eat a fly, then go back to the bottom. Obviously, fish aren't going to be doing this unless it's during a hatch. Always gotta be matching the hatch. If you're not seeing anything on the surface and fish rising, you're going to be better off fishing nymphs or streamers off the bottom. Again, you want to match the hatch at the bottom as well.
[signature]
Great advise. Fish eat scuds and sows 24/7 - 365 so they are a safe bet. But when they is a rising, very hard to resist. I have used a WD40 for an emerger many times. I like to use Frogs Fanny powder. Not only does it help it float, it looks like a bubble around it much like a real emerger.
Youguys are stepping outside the box and "trying" what makes sense to you. That is what it is all about. Bravo to you. Guys like you are a pleasure to share water and tips with.
Look forward to amny, many more reports.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. It makes sense and I will keep it in mind.
[signature]
Had I been "stuck" in your situation , I might have "dropped" the wd off the #12 dry fly 18"-24" and used the dry as a strike indicator.

Just something to keep in mind.
[signature]
Yeah, I was to into it to think about that. But when I was done fishing I thought that if I go up again soon I would you a #18 parachute adams or bwo, before the bugs get bigger, with the wd-40 as a dropper so that I could get hits on top and below the water. Thanks for the reply.
[signature]
One trick to Tibble is once you have casted out slowly lift your rod tip just enough to get your fly moving slowly across the surface. Even an extremely slow strip with the WD-40 or small nymph/midge emerged will triple your fish count. This technique works really well at the inlet on the northwest side. Try it in the summer just as the sun dips behind the mountain in the evenings, you won't be able to keep the fish off, that is if you can find a spot to fish. I learned to fly fish on Tibble, but it is a joke to try and fish it anymore, especially in the summer.
[signature]
yeah I don't like fishing it in the summer or fall either. It's way too crowded, but there is never a lot of people there early in the year. Once it hits Memorial Day, and even a couple weeks before, it gets insane!
[signature]
I've never fished Tibble, but I have fished rivers that the fish were shy- real shy, and wouldn't hit a nymph that was dropped below a strike indicator-

They would however eat if you dropped them below a big hopper(even in early spring). They just didn't want to see anything they percieved as man made. I've taken that lesson and if fish get real spooky in clear water, I'll drop my nymphs off of a big floaty dry....

Its just thinking outside the box.
[signature]
when ever i go to tibble fork i usually in summer and fall I go fly fish next to the inlet of that small creek flow that pass the main camping ground and look for the weeds. if the water is deep in that area use prince nymphs or elk hair. Good time beating the guy next to me on fly rod and my dad XD. Id catch from on after another when it was full. If the lake is slow drive up off road in the main river inlet up where people camp and there part of river is amazing fly fishing on flies in the summer XD. You might think the water flow is to fast but think again fish love that area XD caught so many fat rainbows, browns, and brookies. Smile

Hope this help u. keep slaying those fishes on fly rods XD
[signature]