Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All's well that ends well: UTah Lake 4 10 12
Recently I’d seen couple of posts about cats being caught near the reeds. I looked at the weather forecast and it looked awful. Lousy all weekend but a warm spurt with a peak on Tuesday. 3 consecutive days of warming, why does that never hit on a weekend! Reliable spring weather forecasts rare, so I just watched. By Tuesday morning, I couldn’t stand it any longer. I hadn’t been fishing in 6 months and it was the hottest day of the year so far.

I got the afternoon off, called everyone I knew who might go on short notice and blanked. I’d go alone. I was on the lake @ 3 P.M. The theory was I'd find a secluded little pocket in the reeds that was sheltered and shallow. The air was in the mid 70’s, my old fish finder was from the mid 80’s, menu button broken, so I don’t know how warm the shallow water was, other than hot!

On the way over, I dropped two lines in and trolled up a couple of white bass for bait. I was just thinking two would be enough when one rod hung up. I pulled quick u-turn and before I could get to it the other rod hung, Amateur! I guess first trips of the year are to get the kinks out of the brain as well as the equipment. Drag was working on the second rod so I kept moving toward the first. I heard a clank and looked back and my best spinning outfit had vanished into the lake. I flippled on the electric anchor, which fell 2.5 feet and tangled, so I ran to the back and tossed the manual one over, along with a fish marker. The water was only 5’ deep and there was 50’ of mono between where my jig and my rod lay on the bottom. I could overcome my stupidity by catching that line and retrieving my outfit. 90 minutes passed untangling the electric anchor and then dragging large weighted hooks over the bottom. With the electric anchor and a decent breeze I worked over the entire area. Admitting defeat, I pulled up most of the line to the anchor. I bent to pick up my marker and there it was, a string of mono lying on top of the anchor line[Smile]

Hoping my luck had turned I went to the shallow spot and anchored. I was 50’ from shore in 2.5 feet of water. I set a bobber at 2’ and flipped it out. Before I could rig the second bobber rod, the first bobber started north. I Took out the slack, set the hook, and came up solid. I was just thinking, “This guy has shoulders” when the fish took off, the line broke, and the bobber was flying back at me. Didn’t I know better than to trust a knot that had been sitting for 6 months!

I retied and put on the other half of the shrimp. The next cast was in the water less than a minute and I had a second fish on, beautiful cat about 5#. Instant replay and the next one was 3#. I finally got the second bobber in and the first one took off again. Shoulders again, 7.5#. To keep this shorter, in 45 minutes I had 10 hits, broke off #1, missed one and put 8 kitties in the boat. It was the most wide-open cat bite I ever saw! My little pocket was barely 50’ across and there must have been cats lying shoulder to shoulder over the whole thing.

All the fish came on shrimp. It happened so fast I forgot all about the whites I was going to cut up. Didn’t even have time to dig out the fish basket. The largest cat looked like it would spawn any minute, but was stuffed with 4” minnows and the remnants of juvenile crawdads. For the bass anglers out there, they weren’t reddish brown; they were dark green with orange undersides.

I’m glad I didn’t give up after all the tackle problems! With the current weather, it will be another week before the shallows heat up. I only had a cell phone with me but here are a couple of marginal photos. Nothing like TubeDude’s pics, but admissible in the court of skepticism.
[signature]
Glad that your luck turned around....at first when I was reading this I though, "man this guy really got his a$$ handed to him." Sounds like the shrimp was the ticket...too bad you got that break off...that really hurts. Thanks for giving out the color of the crawdads.....those things have more color variations than a TyeDye shirt.

Thanks for posting...I am looking forward to more of your posts in the weeks to come.
[signature]
The cats most likely wont spawn until june.
[signature]
Way to stick with it - awesome results! I spent 3 days last week fishing the Provo harbor and only caught 2 itty bitty fishies - a whitey and a perch. Used chubs, chicken liver, worms.... and in one afternoon you rocked! Glad your patience paid off! Gives me hope to not give up on UT Lake![Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
first off welcome to bft, second off great report and story!! That was fun to read but man how do you go six months without fishing I would go crazy? And that haul sure is going to be some good eating, ill start going after those kittys pretty soon they have had a long enough break, but I've been killing the walleyes so ill start in a few weeks its snowing like crazy right now that's not good for the kittys.
[signature]
Great first post, although I bet you had your doubts before you made that first cast. Welcome to BFT.
[signature]
Great report, thanks for sharing. I hope to do the same once it gets a bit warmer! [Smile]
[signature]
Probably the best first post ever pasted to this site. Awesome. I literally chortled out loud while reading it, thinking of how many times that kind of crap happens to me. Great report, great fish, great first post. Looking forward to more.
[signature]
We were there exactly the same time and got almost skunked, so good on ya!
[signature]
what they all said. Coke thru the nose kinda post alrighty. Well played - can't tell ya how many tangled webs of birdsnest line, or snags, hookups, lost tackle - I bet I've found every patch of christmas trees in Willard!
And those kinda fiascos do seem to come in pairs!

Brave to throw out the embarrasment first, nice that you turned it into a wicked kitty fest. So you're soaking a half a shrimp at a time? I do find I keep more yellow-bellies off with shrimp, than crawlers.

Welcome aboard. Thanks for the post.
Thanks for the reply. I don't get to the site or the water as often as I should. I have a bit of the seven dwarf syndrome. I have enjoyed your posts when I get time to read.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't advise giving up on Utah Lake. There are times when the plan works and times it doesn't. I knew a guy who used to say. "The fish are always biting somewhere." I think he was about 90% correct.
[signature]
I can only go 6 months without fishing when something more important requires it. The great folks who post reports on this site are abig help in maintianing what sanity I have left.
Thanks for your kind reply[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the welcome and the kind words! If by, doubts about making that first cast, you are refering to making my first post, you are correct. If you meant fishing shallow when most reports said the cats were moslty deep, correct again.
[signature]
As you might imagine, I didn't "chortle out loud when that rig went into the lake, but my sense humor returned after I "miraculously" got it back and the fish started biting. Thanks for your reply!
[signature]
Thanks for your reply[Wink] I enjoy reading others and I decided I should try putting in the time to share some my own adventures. You asked about the half shrimp thing, That is my confidence bait and, like you, I see fewer bullheads in mix with shrimp. I am an process engineer by training and profession, so it is my lot to always look for patterns in the data. Mine show that open water fishing I catch more fish on average with shrimp but bigger fish with fresh cut bait. When they are rooting around in the reeds, the shrimp seems best. But every days is different.
[signature]