Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fins... what are people using?
As the title suggests, I am curious what fins people are using. I used a pair of idi frogfoots that TD may remember. After moving to a different state I find I no longer have said fins. I am looking to buy some new fins, curious on suggestions from the folks here on the float tubing board
[signature]
I have quite a list.

1. The Caddis fins

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/caddis-...essed=true

2. The back pack:

http://www.cabelas.com/float-tube-pontoo...adType=pla

3. Turtles:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/XSSFTE.html

4. Force Fins

http://www.cabelas.com/float-tube-pontoo...adType=pla

5. Omegas:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/omega-aquati...Qgodrk9Cjg

I probably use the Omegas and the Force Fins the most, but still use the others on occasion.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Sam, howya doin'? Been wondering about you. Saw your dad at the first float tube club meeting the other night and he said you had left Utah. Hope things are going well for you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you look up at the buying guide link, at the top of the page, you will see a cross section of the fins most popular with tubers and tooners.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I use the Mares diving fins but a lot of folks like the Force Fins...or others. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are a lot more choices these days than there used to be. When I bought that pair of IDI Frogfoot fins that was the largest size fins available...and they did not fit my big feet well...especially when I had to wear extra layers in the winter. That's why I cut out the toes in the end...to cut down on constriction. Today there are several major manufacturers and they make fins even for BIGFOOT.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Did you ask your dad what he is using? I know he went to a couple of dive shops and got to try some on before making his final decision.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have been well. I moved to colorado, live in a small town high up on the continental divide. I have looked over the sticky, and have probably figured out what I am looking to pick up. I just like to see and here what others are using. Hearing about peoples past experiences sometimes can effect my final decision.
I mostly do small lakes for trout when I am out in my tube, almost always in cold water. I also find I have been doing a lot of hiking to the lakes I like to fish withing rocky mountain national park. so I am probably looking to save weight as much as possible.
[signature]
The Back Pack fins work great and fold flat. I use to put them under the seat cushion on my Super Fat Cat and the H3.
Not a great fin for big waters, but the Uinta's they are perfect.
[signature]
the high uintas definately most closely define the area I live and fish in currently. I do not plan on fishing any big water in my tube. I would like to go chase some big pike, but would likely do that from a boat.
I almost always wear wading boots. As sometimes when your hiking to a lake you pass a creak or a pond that is deemed good for wading but not floating. how to the backpacks hold up to wading boots?
[signature]
Perfect! I wear wading boots also. Plus they worked really well with my boot foot hippers.
[signature]
Ok Sam, do u want me to send you these fins ? I mean it's not like UPS likes going to your house ya know. Oh hell I'll send them anyways and if ya buy another set you"ll have a spare. Good fishing kid
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Whatta guy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You're a good daddy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
sounds good to me!! and yes TD he aint too bad
[signature]
I've used Force Fins, didn't like them. I found them to be uncomfortable, they would rub against the top of my foot I tried more than one pair, all uncomfortable.

I now have a pair of Hot Spot fins. I love them. They are comfortable and they propel me just fine. I wore both brands of fins with neoprene booties.

The Omegas look interesting. I like the idea that you can flip the fin up to walk. Can't do that with Hot Spots. But the comfort and price of Hot Spots has me sold.
[signature]
Did you have the molded rubber FF or the Neoprene ones? I like the Neoprene ones cause they didn't ruin my boots (I wear booted Hip waders).

Those Hot Spots are crazy looking. For surf boarders? Interesting Can get the momentum on the up and down stroke like with the scuba style, huh?
On really ruff waters, I still prefer my FF because they are a stiffer rubber and can dig in better than the Omegas
[signature]
I had the molded foot Force Fins, the so-called Original model. I kept reading about how good they were, tried 3 pairs, finally decided they weren't for me.

The Hot Spot fins are float tube fins. They are supposed to float but I have heard they do not float so I wear booties so they can't fall off my heel.

A lot of float tubers in CA swear by them. I have to say, they are/were right.
[signature]
I read that and that the ones that have them love them. CA is the location that they seem to be most talked about but no real info on them. No pictures?
I would agree on the molded FF. Not the case with the neoprene. But I do wear a boot.

Love to learn more about you HS
[signature]
I got them at http://www.turners.com/ in-store purchase. They run $80. Hard to find used ones, once in a while you see them.

I couldn't find a picture of them. I went to a website that had a Hot Spot Fins ad, clicked on it and saw Viper Fins. No wonder you thought they were weird looking, those are Surf fins and from what I've read, they're awesome. But Viper fins are surf fins, not float tube fins. It may be the same company make both. They are made in the U.S.
Yeah!!
[signature]
Funny there are no pictures to be found. On another forum, someone gave their brother a pair (seems they just got FF...LOL) Everyone is truly different.
[signature]
Do any of you remember the old one called Paddle Pushers?

They strapped onto you heel and they let you move forward through the water.

YEP. Still running those on my feet. Can't go very fast but thats allright.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[cool][#0000ff]I still have a pair in my garage.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worthless.[/#0000ff]

[inline "PADDLE PUSHERS 2.jpg"]
[signature]
Would you be willing to part with them?

I love using these when I'm in working the reeds and weed lines like out at Pelican.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[cool][#0000ff]Since I no longer use them I guess I might consider passing them on to a good home. I think I know about where they are so I will dig them out and let you know.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They do have their applications. The original design for for fishing small ponds in Oklahoma, where they were invented. Guys would wear those old tubes on straps over their shoulders and combine shallow wading with occasional kicking while casting for bass and "brim". Okay for that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But I tried them once...for about 2 minutes...and took them off forever. And a fishing buddy tried to use them for a long morning of fishing and almost ended up in the hospital.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The FishMaster float tubes were the first commercially made tubes I ever bought. Up until they hit the market I fished from tubes I had made myself. Used them for about 5 or six years before upgrading to some of the newer models and passing the FMs down to my growing sons. One son still has his.[/#0000ff]
[signature]