Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloudy days and moody fish
I was able to throw a few lines into the Logan for a couple of hours late this morning. Lately I've been doing well with just an Adams on top of the water. But, it was cloudy, and I think the water a touch higher than it has been over the last few days. I got completely skunked on the Adams. I went to a BWO with no results. So then I switched to a variety of nymphs and still had no luck.
I'm pretty sure the clouds and the temperature had something to do with my troubles.
Any suggestions? Do you typically change your plan of attack on cloudy days?
[signature]
I find cloudy days to generally be the best fishing in streams. Fish loose some of their weariness. Your flies seemed OK but what I do if I'm not catching in that situation is try another stretch of water on the same stream.
[signature]
Agreed, I've found that cloudy weather equals better fishing . The hatches last longer, and the fish probably do feel a little more brave.

I would believe a water temp change( higher water may = cooler temps) would have more affect on the fishing in a negative way than the clouds.

Higher water may push the fish into different runs, but if it wasn't too much higher I doubt it would be the case.

When in doubt, throw on a San Juan worm, and drop an egg pattern off of that- if there's a fish in the river it won't pass up that cheesy meal.
[signature]
I say a SJW. Barometric pressure can push the fish down if a storm comes in. Streamers seem to work well too.
[signature]
Thanks for all the tips. I think that stretch of river may not be as productive as I think it should be. I'll try a different stretch this weekend with nice weather headed our way. [cool]
[signature]