Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sportsmanship
[cool]One of our newer members touched off a bit of a controversy on the current Fish Lake thread. Thought I'd toss out some thoughts on the basic issue of sportsmanship, and see what others might think.

I have fished and hunted enough years that I have just about seen anything and everything related to both sportsmanship and unsportsmanlike conduct. And, while I have done my share of reacting and retaliation, I have mellowed somewhat in my "advanced years" Anymore, I try to see the situation for what it is, and deal with it accordingly.

If my fishing experience is negatively affected by the intrusion or actions of someone else, I will first try to determine whether it is a lack of understanding...or just plain ignorance. There is a difference. If someone crowds me, casts across me or otherwise invades my space, I will usually try to cordially suggest that they are out of line. If my polite observation is met with stony silence...or the "Hawaiian good luck sign"...then I less politely suggest that they get the &%#$ away from me...or that they perform a physically impossible act upon themselves.

As those who know me know, I am a big boy. Those who know me better, know that I have a temper, and that I am a formidable foe when you get my juices flowing. I have done some things to unsportsmanlike folks in the past that I am not particularly proud of. But...I maintained my ascendancy.

I doubt that there is a fisherman alive...boater, banker, tuber or tooner...that has not been crowded out of a good fishing spot or had their fishing shut down by arrogant water skiers or PWC, That is beyond the topic of this thread. That is plain ignorance and arrogance, with more than a tinge of stupidity.

To my way of thinking, sportsmanship embodies how we conduct ourselves when out in the field or on the water. Are we there for the full measure of enjoyment...or just to harvest game or fish? Are we there to improve and enjoy our skills...or just to catch the most and biggest...to show off? Are we willing to help others who are still learning...or do we selfishly guard all of our "secret spots" and our best baits and lures...and the techniques we use to be successful?

Kinda gettin' "soap boxish" here...but that has happened before.

I like to compare sportsmanship to a definition I heard of honesty..."WHAT YOU DO WHEN NOBODY'S LOOKING...OR WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO." To me, that translates to a "Golden Rule" kinda thing. Do unto others how you would like to be treated in return. Nothing religious intended here, but it really sums up sportsmanship.

If someone already has your favorite spot when you get there, either ask if they mind if you join them...or take advantage of the opportunity to find another good spot. If somebody else comes up while you are fishing your favorite spot, and asks to join you, don't be hostile. If there is room for someone else, suggest a good place for them to set up so that neither of you is crowded.

If you are catching a lot of fish, and those with you or around you are not, don't "showboat". Unless you are more than lucky, there will be times when you are on the outside looking in. And, if there is something unique that you are doing with your bait or lure, it's okay to share if someone asks politely. It's your option how you choose to respond when someone gets hostile and DEMANDS to know. That happens. Fishermen get frustrated.

And, a big thing with me, is when you take a kid or another adult fishing, and they are still learning, make the trip about them...and not about you showing off by outfishing them. Take the time to make sure they are properly rigged...with the right bait or lures. Make their first casts for them, and coach them on how to do it themselves. And, don't yell at them when they tangle your tackle...or even lose it. That's part of the process. And, above all else, don't get surly when your kid or your guest catches more or bigger fish than you. That's just a reflection of your superior teaching skills.

Some of my most rewarding experiences on the water have been the result of turning what appeared to be poor sportsmanship into an opportunity to be a good sportsman myself. I cannot count the number of times my fishing has been interrupted or ruined by a guy in a boat motoring over my fishing spot with a couple of kids he is trying to teach how to fish...when he has no clue himself.

As soon as I spot one of those situations, my focus changes from my own fishing pleasure to helping insure that the kids get a fun fishing experience. I love to paddle over to the boat in my tube...after first striking up a friendly conversation, of course...and helping the kids get properly rigged and catching fish. I never cease to be amazed at some of the tackle and rigs that nonfishing adults hand to their kids and then complain that the fish weren't biting.

But, there is no way to turn some negative situations into positive ones. When a shole group shows up and crowds you out...trashing the area and polluting the silence...it is hard to Smile and offer to help them catch some fish. When some bozo on water skis decides to give you a shower, while showing you haw great they are on the boards, you are not obliged to use all the fingers on your hand when you wave to them.

The Sad fact is that we are living in times of the "Hooray for me and to hell with thee" mentality. Even worse, the mindless idiots are often carrying guns or other weapons, to back up their rude behavior. So be careful. It is not worth being injured or killed, just because you were there first...or because you object to the unsportsmanlike behavior of others.

And, that's enough outta me. Anybody got any good POSITIVE input on sportsmanship?
[signature]
I think this bears repeating so I will put it here as well.

Theres no law that says your favorite spot should be reserved for you. Theres no rule on who gets there first. And to say its polite, and theres a code of ethics that is just respectful to allow other anglers to have thier space is fine, but wouldnt it be more polite, more ethical, and more respectful to SHARE?

The future of angling depends on our ability to come together and work as a group. If that means letting a kid catch all your fish while you just watch, or having to spend a saturday being a bit more friendly so that others can enjoy the day as well, arent we all better off in the end?

Tube dude, as far as a positive spin on sportsmanship, its a decision we make every time we go out. I have a lot of respect for some of the users here on BFT. The truest of sportsmen in my mind. Walleye bob for example. It takes a true sportsman to share his technique in his favorite fishing hole with the entire online world. Ponco, who always posts a great report with photos, that enspires lots of us to get out there and fish. BLM who takes more strangers to his favorite fishing holes and shares his skills. And the unknown new guy who dares to get involved and ask a few questions to educate himself so he can also become part of fishings future and preservation.

Theres true sportsmanship in all of us, but for me, sometimes my greed takes over and I cant see the value of taking the high road until its too late.
[signature]
i pratice sportmanship as much as i can.. in sharing info on the places that i fish and what i was useing.. but i have found that if you dont want to be pushed out of a good fishing spot dont go fishing where there is going to be alot of pepole or a time when there is going to be alot of pepole in that spot.. i find it hard to bleve that when i lived back east we coiuld ice fish 200 and 300 pepole in a 4 or 5 block area and all get along..but to pepole one on shour and one in a tube cant?? with a whole lake for them to fish in? i have had pepole try and take my spot befor like all of us have.. and most the time i well let them have it!! most the time it's not the spot but the way your fishing that is makeing the difrence so if they want the spot go ahead have ti i will move over and start catching fish where they just left..and if not, so what i have cought my fare shere of fish in my life..and if they feel so strong about takeing my spot then so be it..

from the fuzzyfisher----------------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
I agree with you guys. I think one of the best things we can do is to teach the younger generation about sportsmanship. I have been fishing and some real inconsiderate people fishing next to me with kids.I will have my kids and grandkids with me and it is a little upseting when you are trying to teach these kids and the people fishing next to you are a bunch of jerks. I just remind the kids that some weren't taugh what we call fishing etiquet. or how ever you spell that.I also tell them that to follow the rules makes it enjoyable for everyone.
[signature]
Well said TubeDude.

Once in a while someone will ask me why I love fishing so much. I usually say, "I don't know. I just like it." I guess I love the anticipation of waiting for a trout to pounce on the fly that I presented, or the tug on the line from a fish taking the bait. But there is another aspect that I often mention, and that is, that there is a brotherhood that naturally exists between fishermen on the water and hunters in the field. It is a very rare thing to get a negative reply from a fellow fisherman that you say 'howdy' to even though you have never met before. I love that. Many times I have been helped and I have helped others as well. And the great thing is that here was never any mention of repayment. We were brothers in field, of course we would help each other. If you ever want to break the ice of an awkard silence all you have to do is mention your last fishing trip and if the other person fishes too then a good friendship has just begun. I love that.

This all has a lot to do with sportsmanship. Thank goodness there are enough people with good sportsmanship to make this possible.

It all starts with courtesy. And for the most part, if you give it you get it back. That's been my experience and that is one of the reasons that I like fishing and hunting.

m
[signature]
[size 2] Do on to others, no what I mean? I treat people like I want to be treated and react to each situation as it arrises.[/size]

[size 2]As far as favorite spots on a lake I do not own ( Which is all of them[Wink] ) you have to share. If someone ends up in an area that you deemed your favorite spot,etc then it's first one there rule. That is fair.[/size]

[size 2] I have gotten somewhere before others then they try to horn in and I politley ask them to move or give me some space respecting the first come, first serve courtesy which must places will enforce.[/size]

[size 2] But there is always an idiot who does not care. Usually in an old beat up truck reaking of beer and probably lives in a dive in some horrible area.[/size]

[size 2] Look at the way they live says alot to on how they act towards others. I think because I started out without alot and slowly gained stuff made me more open and understanding.[/size]

[size 2] Not to mention the military training and police training on team work and working things out.[/size]

[size 2] Whatever![crazy] I am starting to ramble.[/size]

[size 2]On another note I invite you all to read for newest thread on California Board " Not necessarly fishing " about your opinion on recent strikes![mad][/size]
[signature]