Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington Tiger Trout (Report)
I've had several messages with questions about Huntington & the Tigers. Most of you saw my post on 10/10 and the photos. I had such an incredible time that I went again on 10/13. Here are the answers to your questions.

On Monday 10/13 we arrived while it was still dark. Got on the water as soon as we could see and started hooking up with real nice Tigers shortly after. The fishing was incredible...the weather was not. The thermometer in the car said that it was 29 degrees. Which I believe. There was a small crust of ice aroun the edge of the lake and the eyes on our rods keept freezing over. The wind kicked up pretty good and made some pretty big waves. By 10am it had blown us off the lake. With the wind chill, I can't even begin to guess what the temp was. All I know is that it was COLD!!! FREEZING!!! Before we left the lake we managed to catch about 17 fish. It was incredible fishing and I'm sure it would have remained such had we been man enough to stay on the water. (Did I mention...IT WAS COLD!!!)

I have been asked about what I have been using. I am attaching a photo of what I used. Fuzzyfisher put me on to the flatfish (thanks again fuzzy).

In the photo the 2 flatfish in the packages were the ones fuzzy told me about. I couldnt find them for my first tip up to Huntington so I bought the 2 you see out of the package. One is just plain silver. The other one is the closest thing I could find to fuzzys. It still worked. Just before my second trip up I found the ones fuzzy sugested but never got them out of the package.

The 2 flat fish in the package are made by The Producers. "Elmo's zipfish #3 1/4oz. 2 3/4'' Type F" The 2 that are out of the package I don't recall the maker but they are size "F7". In the photo you will see the weight I used with the flatfish to get it down just a little. It is a 5/8 weight. I put on about 24 inch leader and then the flatfish. Both of the flatfish worked well. On my second trip up my partner fished the silver without the weight and was successful with that.

That being said, let me suggest that if you are planning a trip up and cant find the flatfish or dont want to spend the money on them, dont. The other three lures in the photo brought in more fish than any of the flatfish.

The first one with the tiger colors on it did okay. the bottom side of this spoon is silver. Sorry, I don't recall the size of that one, but it is made by "Pot O Gold" and it was only .99 cents at Hooked Tackle in Kaysville. The one on the far right is a Blue Fox spinner. Size #1. It caught several fish as well. And here comes the secret weapon.... The silver Kastmaster in the middle caught the majority of the fish on both visits. It is a 1/4 oz lure, pure silver. I did not use any weights with these. I only used weight with the flatfish. With the 3 lures I just cast out as far as I could go, started trolling on speed 2, and waited for usually no longer than 2-3 minutes before pulling in a fish. If I had to choose on lure to take to Huntington, I would leave everything else behind and take 2 or 3 of the silver Kastmasters. No doubt, an awesome lure at huntington. It works well from shore as well.

I have also been asked if I have ever used a Dipsy Diver. Answer is no. I've just used the little weight in the photo.

I had my fish finder up there on the first trip but never used it on the second trip. I never once marked a single fish. Whch I thought was odd. But what it did tell me was that at the last part of September the depth of the lake was anywhere between 21 & 30 feet deep. However, on 10/13 when I went up the water level had DROPPED! I couldnt believe that from where I put in my canoe the first time (North side, middle) I had to walk and extra 10-15 feet to get to the water!!! Anyone know what is happening up there?? I couldnt believe that the level had dropped so much in such a short period of time!

Other questions were how to get to Huntington. I don't know road names that well so I'll do my best. I got there by going down I-15 to the exit that takes you to Price, up Highway 6. Once you get to the top of the canyon you will go down about a mile and you'll see an exit on the right that will take you through what use to be Thistle and on to Fairview, Epharim, Manti, etc. Once you come into Fairview there are 2 gas-stations. The road that goes East inbetween the two gas stations is the one that will take you up the mountain. Once you are close to the top of the mountain you will see a sign pointing East (left) that says Electric Lake & Scofield. Keep going straight, don't turn down that road. You will ride along the top of the mountian for a few more miles and the the first lake you come to on your left hand side is Huntington. If you go to the farthest East side you will see the dam, a parking lot and restrooms. Can anyone help explain it better than that? Hope that helps.

Ice Fishing - I was introduced to Huntington several years ago ice fishing. The fist time I went we used rat-finkeys tipped with a meal worm about 40 feet from the dam. We had a 40+ fish day. I've fished it many times in the winter with different levels of success. I fished it last year and caught only 1 fish. All the reports I saw last year about ice fishing Huntington seemed to agree with the day I had. Not sure if I'll try it this year through the ice.

Hope that helps and hope it answers all the questions I have been asked. Thanks again to fuzzyfisher who put me on to the right color(s). The last 2 trips up there have been incredible. Please feel free to drop me a message if you have any further questions and I would be happy to help.
[signature]
hey great report... i was glad to help!! i was up there last friday and i know what you mean about the cold dude.. i hope i can make it up one more time befor it frezzes this year..

from the fuzzyfisher---------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
Great report and thanks for all the great info. It sounds like the fishing is still good if you can brave the temps and low water. I've been up to Electric lake before but not to Huntington but it sounds like that is the best way to get there. I was thinking that going the route that goes through Helper but your directions sound like a shorter way. Thanks again, WH2
[signature]
[size 1]Rob,[/size]

[size 1]Great report, thanks for sharing. Your directions are fine (and yes it is closer to go via Fairview than to go past Scofield), except that you wrote:[/size]

[size 1]"You will ride along the top of the mountian for a few more miles and the the first lake you come to on your left hand side is Huntington." Coming from Fairview, the lake is on the right hand side of the road, not the left. Also, if you happen to pick one those days that Huntington is not working, keep heading down the road for only a few miles and you will see Electric Lake on your left, and if you want to drive further you will come to Scofield.[/size]

[size 1]This road is kept plowed throughout the winter to allow the miners to drive the canyon.[/size]
[signature]
Thanks for the correction...the lake is on the right hand side of the road. Also, I've been to Electric Lake many times several years ago but have not been up there in the past couple because of the water level. I heard Electric is nothing but a pond right now. Anyone know if that is true? I have never taken that route to Scofield before. I've found the fishing to usually be pretty good that I have not had to skip on down. I believe the sign said Electric was 6-8 miles and Scofield was 16 miles. ?? I could be mistaken.

After we got blown off the lake we loaded up and went down the road (East) about a mile. I think the name of that lake is Cleveland. ?? The wind was hardly blowing there and it was a lot warmer. We threw a few spinners over by the inlet and caught a few nice rainbows.

One last ramble....on the way back home going through the Thistle area we stopped at the little river that runs along that road. Most of it seems to be posted but we found a few spots to drop in and toss in a little Mepps or Rooster Tail. I pulled out 3 nice Browns. I was suprised at the size. We let them go. The river was very murky, not muddy, and loaded with moss. Does anyone know much about that river along that area....fishing access, etc? I'd never fished it before - drove by it a million times when I was going to school in Ephraim. I was pleasantly suprised by what it had to offer.
[signature]
Electric Lake definitley IS just a pond right now. I drove past there a couple of weeks ago, on the north arm that goes past the gas pipeline and over to Scofield. There was absolutely NO WATER on that side. My wife had never been past there and I was going to show her the lake but you can't even see any water from that side. You'd have to go over to the side by Huntington to be able to see water. I couldn't believe just how low it has gotten. Even the stream right there was practically dry! What a shame.
[signature]
Man, you are right about it being cold up there! By the way, the reason that Electric is so low is because the DWR is trying to prevent it from all emptying into a mine up there. Evidently, the mine was way too close to the surface, and the water erroded a hole into it. I would expect the water to stay like that there till they figure out how to plug it up.
[signature]
they are not pluging the hole in the lake.. they are closeing the mine and sealing off the area that the water is in!! there is 3 falt lines that come together right by the dam. that is where the water is going..

from the fuzzyfisher--------------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
Have they quit pumping the water from the mine back into Electric Lake? Is the water even lower than it was last winter?
[signature]