Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard in the morning???
I have only fished Willard two times and they have both been in the afternoons. Can anyone tell me if the wiper fishing can be any good early in the morning, say around 8:00am? I'm planning on hitting Willard Thursday morning and have an open spot in my boat if anyone is interested. We will probablly fish until 3:00pm so I can get back to Logan for family obligations. Let me know if your interested by sending me a PM. Any info on morning wiper fishing will be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
[Smile]You will find it to be very good in the morning!!!!

last week I hit them at noon. this time of year it can be any time of day.
[signature]
Last week Old _Coot was out in the morning and had no luck but HFT told my about a few guys, I think from his store, that have done good on the west dike in the morning. I think the difference is the water and how clear or murky it is. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Crestliner,[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Last year, one of my very best days was in the morning in the fall about this time of year around 7-9 AM. My son and I had doubles several times and kept getting in an argument about who got to use the net! LOL ... The water was, of course, much higher and was also much clearer. We got into a boil that lasted 25-30 minutes. My boat seemed to drift perfectly with the momement/migration of the boil. It was great ... one of my most memorable times. It was a slightly overcast morning and fantastic![/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]I have also gone out alone several times at about 3 AM and stayed till noon. Over on the south end I had lots of fun with top water popers on glassy smooth water just around daylight and sun up.[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]I was talking to a friend the other day and he was doing well (8 wipers in a morning) on a drop-shot worm from the bank. I may have missed it but that is the first I've ever heard of wipers on a worm!! I thought "Dahh!"[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]So, can it be good in the mornings? It sure can. Can it be slow? You'd better believe it. Just remember, "fishing for wipers isn't always catching wipers".[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Personaly, I prefer morning and evening for my best success at Willard. My worst success is night and mid-day.[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Speaking of Morning fishing, I will be out there Friday morning with Bait_Caster and again Friday afternoon/evening alone. I'm hoping that the murky water has cleared a bit. I highly expect to have fun "catching" wipers Friday morning.[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Now, crestliner, I'll be watching close for your post. I'll be very curious as to how you do Thursday AM. So come back to the board and give us all the details.[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Thanks man,[/size][/#008040][/font]
[signature]
The morning is also my favorite time to fish for wipers,almost all my trips there last year at this time of year where early morning bites,Like HFT said though with the water cooling off the bite can last all day,My biggest wipers have been taken right before the sun hits the water,casting a prism shad to the shoreline,on the west dike,I dont know about this year because I haven't been out there since the south marina went dry,but see no reason why they wouldn't be there.I sent you a pic of the modified one did you get it.I fill it doubles the catch rate with the tail hook,I just might take the day off tommorow and meet you out there,just dont want to launch my boat by myself.

Get a few for me unless I'm there I would rather catch my own.LOL[crazy]
[signature]
I did get your picture. Thanks alot. I haven't been able to find out where they sell these. Are they from the "hooked" shop in Kaysville? My son has a basketball game in Ogden tonight at 9:00pm so I was going to hit Sportmans before that. Would they have them there?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Crestliner,[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]The only fishing store around here that sells the Producer Prism Shadd is Hooked in Kaysville. Here is what the look like on the Web: [/size][/#008040][/font][url "http://www.marinews.com/producer/producer_prism.htm"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]http://www.marinews.com/producer/producer_prism.htm[/size][/#008040][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2] The color that is most popular is the #2400.. However, the Web picture is a lot more blue on the botom than they realy are. They are mostly a white bottom but look blue if held a certain way in the light.[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]A while a go, Hooked was having trouble getting them in stock. But I suspect he has gotten his shipment by now. I buy them 6 at a time and replace the tail hook with a better quality treble hook that is dressed with a small skirt with white buck tail and red or green flashabou.[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]The hooks that come on the prism shad are kind of cheep and bend or break easily ... especially under the pressure of a hard fighting wiper.[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]That "modified" prism shad is something that BLM showed me.[/size][/#008040][/font]
[signature]
Thats right coot,I thought you made that up,bet it would work on rapalas also.

Later Tony[cool]
[signature]
Crestliner,we fished Willard Sunday morning from 8-1 and it was slow but the water was pretty murky,2 weeks ago in the late morning was good but the water was clear??Good luck,M.H.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]That skirted tail hook works on everything, Tony. They are killer on flatfish also. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Definitely change the hooks and split rings on those producers before you use them, Crestliner. After the first fish they're history. Those wipers will bend the hooks and stretch the split rings. Replace them with the best quality split rings you can. Same goes with the hooks. You won't be rebuilding them so often.[/size][/font]
[signature]