Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whiting bugger packs for dry fly hackle?
I bought a grizzly whiting bugger pack from Sportsman's Warehouse a week or so ago. I was looking at it in the store and the hackle on all three pieces looked like they were intended more for size 12-20 dries than the size 4-12 wolly buggers for which they're advertised. I tied up a bunch of size 14 and 18 griffith's gnats using them and they turned out awesome. (I know that 14 is a little big, but they've worked for me before.) I also did a bunch of mutated size 14 adams and a few other test flies with it and the hackle seems to work well. Nice stiff barbs and no webbing.

I started looking around for more, but most of the packs that I've seen online are as advertized and are much larger feathers. If you look at the bugger packs on the Cabelas web site, the Black and Grizzly/Yellow individual pictures look closer to what I have in terms of feather composition. Did I just get lucky on these being what I was looking for, or do they tend to vary a lot?

I picked up the 100-fly Saddle pack for size 14, one in brown and one in cream. Those are also looking to me like they're the way to go for some of these things. Smile

And my wallet is getting lighter.

Matt
[signature]