Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard four species
Went to Willard hoping to find some wipers or walleye. I caught one wiper about 12" long. I could have gone to Utah lake for that. The good news is that the crappie and smallmouth were actively chomping my jigs. I also caught one small walleye about 13 inches long. I let it go because i already had enough fish for my chowder. Pictures to come soon.
[signature]
Good on ya. At least some of us got to fo fishing... I am jealous. I had a big weekend planned and my trailor lights went out, flat tire.. you name it. Starting today the fishing should be great between the storms.
[signature]
Nice haul, I fished it twice last week and got zip, right before this warming trend, wish I had been there[frown] on Sat. From all reports sat was a good day for a lot of people at Willard. Here is the pics you sent me.
[signature]
Sounds like a good trip. I'd say even a small Wiper is better than no Wiper at all. Bet it fought bigger than a whitie! Nice to hear the bass and crappie are being active. Did ya happen to get a water temp?

Not asking for GPS coordinates, but curious - were you banking it, floating, boating? If so - did you launch the north or south end?

Gotta get me down there and chase that skuny monkey another time!

Thanks for the report, and thanks for sharing up the pix Curt. Looks like you're in for quite a hearty chowder! Gonna mix 'em up?
I was bank tangling. I have a boat ( tin can) a tube and a pontoon but rarely use them at Willard. Its my place I fish when I don't want to deal with a lot of equipment.
I didn't get a water temp but if I had to guess I would say it peaked close to 60 in the shallowest gravel areas. The smallies were really aggressive.
I am going to mix them all in the chowder. I love the taste of smallmouth. It doesn't have quite the flavor of crappie but it is really firm meat. Especially this time of year.
[signature]
I was also at Willard yesterday.
I was after Crappie with my fly rod.
Got a limit and had a great time. Weather was perfect. Water temps started out about 59* inside the North Marina at launch and ended at 65* in the Bay on the South side of the North Marina. [Over by Mud Bay]
[signature]