Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Jordanelle fish story
Headed up at 6:30 and the air temps was 50 and water at launch was 45..

Headed to my first spot and my second cast got my first bass of the day..
Fished all over the lake from the north to the south and got trout or bass here and there, the bass was from 20' to 30' and the trout was from 1' to 15' of water...

All came on the Mojo drop shot with gulp minnows, tried lots of other lures but each time I went back to the gulp I seemed to hook up..

It was a morning bite it seemed to end at 11:00 give or take [sly] after that time till 2:30 when I headed home I had a few bites but no hook ups..
This type of picture is why I don't take any when alone..My arm is not long enough..[Wink] [inline P4220010.JPG]
[signature]
Would you have a picture or diagram of what your drop shot setup looks like. I have never fished one before.
I will take one and post it later..
[signature]
Not sure about the Mojo setup, but I usually use a barrel sinker on a leader to a three way swivel - then a leader off the side to a hook of choice. I moved to using a lighter weight line for the weight, so if IT get snagged it can break off w/o taking the whole riggup.

Depending - tend to go maybe 8-12 inches from swivel to weight, and about half that to the hook. Was a deadly setup for perch last fall. Was challenging myself to see how little worm I could have left, yet still hookup! Milking the crawler....
My battery went dead on me at the lake on the first picture..

Here is the set up I use..

Picture one shows how long the line is (I forgot the tape in the picture) is 14"..[:p]
Two and the others are trying to show how I hook the lure on and the type of hook..

.[inline P4220001.JPG]
[signature]
Thanks for the story and pics bassrods. What kind of weight is that ? I am trying to learn how to fish Jordanelle and I am struggling. I have only landed one brown so far and I am hoping for more.
[signature]
The weight is a Mojo, Why I use them over some that are cheaper is when you look at how all the others work and the numbers of snags and losses you get it all comes together..

This is why it all works..
First yes you can use others weights like the bell type or the split shot or even the look-alikes but they all do one thing better then the Mojo.. That is they snag more some as much as 5 time as much..

The split shots and bells are the worse one for snagging..
Why? look at them they are like any anchor or type of anchor they are built to snag or hold to the bottom of the lake..Or drop in any rocks or snag any wood or brush...

But the shape and size of the Mojo weights are made to slip or slide over or through things...

The hook is heavy or thick so it does not bind or straighten ever so slight, many fish that come off after hooking that throw the hook is caused by the hook may or is straighten out only as much as the thickness of the hook wire..
But that is enough so they can throw the hook..

And even how you hook on the many types of lures on the hook can help they work better, the type of knot you tie...

Like any rig set up the type of fish the color of water and if its rock or brush can change your set up and how its fished...
[signature]
Thanks for the pictures.

I will try this out.
Nice catch! That's not a bad bass for Utah/Jordanelle. How big did it go?
[signature]
I think that one was14" the biggest bass was 15"..
[signature]