Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I?
Hey guys, I've been watching this forum for a while, haven't posted much, so I'm kind of new I guess. Just have a question for you boat experts:

My friend has an old Chrysler brand tri-hull, open bow boat and trailer(He found it abandoned on one of his construction sites, not sure what year it is). It has been completely stripped of all guages, wiring and mechanical parts. So basically, it's just a shell. The vinyl upholstery is in new condition, the carpet looks good, the windshield glass is good, and the hull is in good shape as well. I am contemplating buying it and fixing it up as a fishing boat, maybe even a ski boat. I would need a motor(around 60-100hp), guages, steering wheel, wiring, fuel tank, battery, etc. I'm new to boats so I'm sure I've left out quite a few things that I would need. So, my question is, should I by this boat? My friend only wants $100 for it and the trailer. I'm not sure if I could put this boat together cheaper than just buying a used boat that is already running.

So, all you wise fishing experts, what do you think? Spend $1200-$1500 on a used boat that runs or $100 + parts on my friend's boat?
[signature]
I would buy a used boat that you know runs but each to their own. That sounds like alot of time and effort for the amount of return even if you were very familiar with boats. Now if you just happened to have a nice outboard and such that might be different.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The trailer is worth that if it's not hammered. Run a check with the DMV on the hull number to verify it's not hot and stripped. Offer him a case of beer. He got it for free and he's your friend. He obviously doesn't want it.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Depending on the motor but you can plan on putting $1000 to $2000 back into it with tons of your time to boot. I wouldn't do it for a tri-hull but that's up to you. Good luck whatever you decide.[/size][/font]
[signature]
If I were you I think it's more trouble than it's worth. However, I don't speak from any kind of experience.
[signature]
I would say that it all depends on how far you want to go as far as reconditioning it. By that I mean that if you are thinking of finding and installing all pieces so that it ends up like it was when it was new or nearly new then everyone is probably right. It would be a waste. But it would also depend on its present condition. I would not put a lot of time and money into something unless it was going to come out real nice and retain the value of what you put into it. But, I knew a guy once that had a fairly big boat(about 19 foot) that was pretty beat up but it was solid and all he did was put a decent trolling motor on and use it for trolling. It wasn't much to look at but it was stable and big enough to be very comfortable for several people. And we caught a lot of fish from it. So if all you did was get a solid boat and put a good motor on it you might have a winner as long as you dont let your pride get in the way. And if it is older they are cheap to license. Just a suggestion.

m
[signature]
I have a 1969 tri-hull outboard hydroswift. Sounds very similar to what you are looking at. I basically took my boat apart this year and refinished some stuff. If I was to do it again, I wouldnt. Too many outdated components, hard to find parts, and spendy parts. Still isnt 100% ready for the water but after dropping about $800 this year it is %80 percent ready. about $100 a part. I have a good 115 hp motor and well upholstered seats. So I would do some investigation on what it would take to get it up to speed. As for taking it. The trailer is well worth $100 if it is not damaged and not hot.
[signature]
The case of beer sounds like the best deal!![Wink][Wink][Wink]M.H.
[signature]
That case of beer does sound good. I think I'll go buy the boat, then pick up a case of beer for myself on the way home. Thanks for all the input. I think I'll get the boat and just put a small motor on it for trolling. I will probably repaint the boat with some leftover automotive paint I have so it won't look too bad. Then, when I am ready to upgrade to a better boat, I'll sell the trailer and throw in the boat. What size motor would I need? Would a little gas motor be good or would I need an electric?
[signature]
one thing to think about is that if you was to do this then you would be able to fix this boat up the way that you want it and it would be a good learning experience that way if things come up (and they always do) you will have first hand knolege on what to do to fix it. Boats are relatively simple My boat only has one guage and just enough wireing for the lights and motor and what other toys I've got on it (fishfinder trolling motors extra lights)

Let me know if you would like some help I'm usually pretty good at restoring old boats DZ [reply]

[/reply]
[signature]
[#ff0000]Take a good look at it first, it migh have a big hole or crack in it somewhere to where it was striped and abandoned in the first place. Perhaps the vessel is in good shape and just the motor went out so the previous owners gave up on it. If things look like a fun fixerupper kind of project drop fishpro40 a PM. I know He's got a boat with an electrical bus, various wiring, a steering wheel and cable, speedometer, tach, fuel gauge, light switch, and two toggle switches for bilge and aux. he's going to dump. You could probably talk him out of it for not too much. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
NeveronSunday, thanks for the info. However, I tried sending a PM to "fishpro40" and it said there is no such user. Is that the correct ID?
[signature]
[#ff0000]Oops, my bad, it's fishnpro40. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
It's fishnpro40 [Tongue]
[signature]
I'll send you a pm on the boat i'm getting rid of.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]If you do decided to go for it, be sure to keep danzilla in mind for help. He is definately one who has good experience working with old fixer-uppers.[/size][/font]
[signature]
There is one good thing thing about buying a shell like this. If you do all the work, you know the quality of your work. Buy a used boat and there is no telling what has been jerry rigged on it.
[signature]
I am thinking that I will just put a trolling motor on it for now. What is the minimum thrust I should look for? The boat looks like it's about 16' long and it feels pretty light on the trailer.
[signature]