Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston area waters 4/22
After reading DMAyote's reports the last week I decided it was time to head for Oneida and see what all the talk is about that place. I got some advice from DMAyote and grabbed my son and dad and we were off at 730 yesterday morning. We arrived at Oneida about 915 and started fishing near the hotsprings. The water was pretty muddy and very shallow. We only caught weeds in that area. We saw and heard a ton of carp jumping though!. After a while we moved on down the res and tried a couple other spots. Along one rock slide area I managed to land 2 small mouth around the 12-14 inch range. I also hooked one other poorly that I lost and got a light hit from a fourth. All were on chartreuse spinner baits other than one a watermelon pepper grub. We moved again and had no luck other than hearing a turkey not far from us get a case of lead poisoning. Next thing we know we're at the dam and don't know what else to do so we explored. Headed to Condie and saw some boats but all reports were slow. Found a few small frogs but zero fish. Next we went by Winder but it was way muddy so off to Johnson where there were gills all around brush in the water on the shore. We spent the next 2-3 hours there keeping the kid content catching micro sized blue gill. found that a dry fly attached to a bobber was the most consistent producer since it couldn't get pulled off and they readily would take it. In the end a fun day if not a very productive one. Hopefully the other waters will warm soon and the real bluegill will start coming shallow.
[signature]