Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long time reader, just joined, first time post and tubing question
This may be a rhetorical or stupid question, but how do you avoid getting run over by boats in a float tube?
[signature]
Just like a biker on the road, be watchful and aware of who is around you.
I usually fish closer to the shore in places that have high speed boats.
I also fish in the mornings and get out when the pleasure boaters get going.

Try to use the tube in waters with wake-less regs.

I also fish from a boat and I have never had a problem seeing tubers and tooners on the water.

Just be cautious and use common sense.
[signature]
First, welcome!

Second, If you look up TubeDude's float tube buyers guide, there's a section in there on light artillery and anti-shipping missiles. Ok, there's really not, but there should be. [Wink]

Matt
[signature]
When picking out my pontoon boat i went with a BRIGHT red color. No need for a camo colored tube.
[signature]
I do the same as troutfitter, fish early and bail when the recreators are in full force. I have never had a problem though, it is pretty easy to figure out the spots where few boaters go on the reservoirs or go to a wakless and its not an issue. As a precaution I have my bright orange life jacket hanging on the back rest of my tube for extra visual aid. I'm not saying there aren't jerks that will buzz pretty close just to watch you get tossed around by the wake they created.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As my fave comedian Ron White says..."You can't fix stupid." There is no sure way to avoid the wackos who are out on the water with too much power, too much booze and too little brainpower. And some of them are downright obnoxious and will go out of their way to harass tubers, tooners and anybody with a boat smaller than theirs. They seem to equate boat size with ultimate power over all other people on the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You have already been given some good advice. Plan your trips to be in protected areas of waters that are not as heavily frothed by the power squadron...and then time your trips so you can get in your fishing before the "fair weather" boaters make it to the water. Shouldn't have to be that way but some fishing is better than staying home and pouting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Or...you could outfit your rig like this.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "PWC PATROL.jpg"]
[signature]
[laugh] Another one of them tube upgrades. I think I also need one for my truck. Cant add much to the tube safety that hasnt been said. You do have to keep your eyes open especially on some of the more popular ski/wakeboard waters. I have even had personal watercraft attempt to launder my clothing while I was wearin em.
[signature]
I wouldn't know how, when I'm trolling slow for walleye on DC those idiots almost hit me in an 18.5 ft deep V. Keep a rod rigged with a large dare devil (hooks optional), if you whack the side of their boat with it, I would bet it gets their attention.
[signature]
I grabbed one of those bright orange flags you see on road construction jobs and attached it to a dowel to put up if I ever felt they were getting too close. Haven't had to use it yet. Of course, it could just turn out to be a great way to attract their attention.

I've thought about rigging some kind of light in case I find myself out there dusk or dawn.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]One thing I have recommended before is to buy one of those canned air horns. They are required equipment for boats in most states. Don't take too much room in the tube and can ward off someone heading toward you if they are not watching out. The common use for boaters is to signal for help if you have a problem. Also cool to sneak up behind a fishing buddy and give them a blast. Ever see a Polaris missile launch?[/#0000ff]
[signature]