Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four-Year-Old "2" Old Guy "0" Willard Report
[#ff0000]Finally got on the water at 11:30, the nice park ranger lady wasn't going to let me in with the boat until I told her all of my friends were doing it. Launched the boat with only the assistance of my 4 year old with out too much trouble. If you angle to far to the north there is a big rock to contend with, straightened it up, and things went smooth. Trolled down the middle and along the west dike, first hook up was at 1pm in the light pole area, the second one on at about 2:15 in the same neighborhood. Both 18" and dang fat, both on the kids pole.... At least I got to take pictures. The water in Willard always looks murky to me but it would pass for extra murky now. Depth was from 7-9 feet. We tried slowing down to allow more time for a strike, but our lures started dragging bottom. Tried bigger lures to see if that made a difference, maybe more visible, nope, no luck. Picked up the two we did long-lining a Producer at about 3mph. Boils you ask? The water was glass, only saw one carp roll. We did see on the graph once a bunch of big marks, then a big cloud of bait fish and then another bunch of big marks, but nothing happening on the surface; casted around it with nada. Had to be off the water at three, not by my choice mind you. Films being developed, I'll post some pics later. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Thanks for the report NOS.[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]When I was out there last week, my finder was also marking lots of "clouds" of what I figured to be bait fish. but didn't seem to make much diference in the catching[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Ain't that great to be outdone by the younguns? Makes it all worth it.[/size][/#008040][/font]
[signature]
Old Coot... dunno about it being great to be outdone by a youngster. I remember when I was a little boy and my dad would take me to the California mountian lakes such as Lake Gregory, Lake Arrowhead, Mammoth lakes, and Crystal lakes. (my mom made him take me there fishing for father son bonding) Well as it turns out, I would outfish my dad almost everytime. I have photos of my stringer of fish along with my dad's one or two fish, in the photo my dad didn't look too happy to have been outfished by a youngster.

I can remember while driving past mammoth's blue ribbon fly fishing only, and I would beg my dad to teach me how to fly fish, but my dad was intimidated by the complications of the rules in the proclamation. He would have none of the complications ( what complications?????!!!!) To this day, my dad has not fished for over 25 years now, and recently I have been trying to harrass my dad into coming with me fishing on my boat for good old times sakes. He would have none of that today... This leaves me perplexed to this day!![:/][Sad]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Paul,[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]That is an interesting flip side to that coin. Till my son outfishes me as much a you out fished your dad, I'll still be more pleased when my guest catches more and bigger fish than me.[/size][/#008040][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008040][size 2]Meanwhile, I wish my dad was still around so I could take him out fishing.[/size][/#008040][/font]
[signature]
thaks for the report. I dont know about the rest of you but if I can get a kid to out fish me I so happy. just the look in there eyes is all I need to have a good time. I grow up with a dad that had to out fish us all them time. if we started to get more fish he would have us try a new lure. that was ok for me though because after I started to find things out for myself. thats when It got fun with my dad we had more fun trying to out do each other tryed new things new ways just to try and get an edge on my dad. thats how I got into fishing for musky because it was something that we both didn't know about. the bad thing about that is my dad still has yet to hook one. but he doesn't go out as much any more.
[signature]
My best memory of my father. I was 6 years old and was fishing below the spill way at Moon Lake. I remember catching fish like every minute for a few hours. And I can remember the look on my dads face everytime I reeled in a fish. Nothin, but utter joy!!! He couldnt have been happier. Of course I was having a blast, little kid catching tons of fish. I am not a father yet, ( at least i hope not) [cool]. But I do anxiously await the day, where I can play the role of dad, and rig up a pole for son/daughter and wait for that line tug and the bright eyed look on a young ones face!!!!
[signature]