Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allen Myth Fly Rod

Took a few hours on Saturday afternoon and headed up to Little Dell to spend some time with my new Allen Myth 6wt. rod. The wind was blowing up the canyon at 15-20 mph, and I wondered if it was worth the effort based on my prior frustration casting in such a wind. On the other hand, it seemed like a great test for the new rod.

Again, I’m no expert, but I found casting the Allen Myth to be a pleasure and it continually surprised me that my line just obeyed the action I was trying to impart via the rod. I’m right handed but had to cast over my left shoulder because of the wind. Needless to say a little awkward for me, but I thought my loops looked tight and well-formed and best of all no wind knots. I would cast high to get line out and then lower the rod and shoot the loop sideways to the water. Worked pretty well, and I felt I had much greater control and finesse then with my old rod—especially considering that the Allen cost about the same (also a good deal because I handed-down my old rod to my daughter).

Stripped Wooly Buggers and got enough hits and hooks to keep it interesting.

I know you can’t buy a cast, but having some quality equipment has sure made it more fun.
[signature]
I KNOW!!!! They are so cool aren't they. Good to hear, but you want to his some ponds (or lakes) give a shout, K?
[signature]
Absolutely! I'm looking forward to trying the Allen Myth 4wt at the smaller High Unita Lakes, and I would love to get some tips on chironomid and streamer fishing at the Berry.
[signature]
Anytime. Just give a shout.
[signature]
Took some photos of the Allen Myth rod and Trout reel from when I was up at Little Dell last week. Together they are a great combination.
[signature]
Sexy! How was the catching? And what fly was that?
[signature]
D'oh! I uploaded the same photo twice. Now resolved with the flip side of the reel.

The fly is a Wooley Bugger with a red tail -- bought from Rainey's collection at the Expo. At .50 per Rainey fly, I loaded up.

Fish were hitting and I hooked a few but I was mainly up there to test casting the Myth rod in a stiff wind. Very happy with the results.
[signature]